Trouble understanding SEC protection

randynavarro

A client sent me a pic of this service and cable on the outside of her house.

Electrician is saying the exposed SEC under the meter is ok as long as it's secured. No protection required.

I've scanned 2011 NEC and having a hard time disseminating if protection from damage is required.

Any help?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201424115837_Service%20entrance%20JPEG.jpg

35.12 KB

It probably doesn't run underground.

In my area, that cable would not require protection. However, it should be secured, as the electrician said. I don't see that it's secured.

That cable is protected only by the breaker back at the transformer on a pole somewhere down the street. I don't know how many amps can flow through those SEC's before that beaker trips, but it is a lot.

We sometimes see a flexible cable feed from the weatherhead to the meter box, well clamped of course. But below that, it is routed inside the wall, always, and typically in rigid conduit.

That is indeed sloppy work and it shows a blatant disregard for the safety of the home owner's family.

A client sent me a pic of this service and cable on the outside of her house.

Electrician is saying the exposed SEC under the meter is ok as long as it's secured. No protection required.

I've scanned 2011 NEC and having a hard time disseminating if protection from damage is required.

Any help?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201424115837_Service%20entrance%20JPEG.jpg

35.12 KB

In my area they are typically not protected, but are attached (and usually much shorter). However, in Philadelphia where houses abut a sidewalk they require conduit over SEC up to 6 feet above grade.