Service entrance under house

David Meiland

This is atypical for these parts, and I'm not sure it's legit. 2" PVC comes through the foundation, runs slightly above grade for several feet, makes a turn, runs through this plywood trough filled with concrete for several more feet, then emerges and rises to the subfloor, then up into a wall to the main panel.

There are two places where anyone crawling around to do work is likely to put their weight on the pipe. Seems unsafe to me.

Most of the time, the pipe comes straight up out of the ground within a few feet of the foundation and goes directly into the wall above.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201428194439_02_08_14%20004%20RS.jpg

53.27 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201428194534_02_08_14%20005%20RS.jpg

45.5 KB

Supports are too far apart. It should run alongside some structural member. Since it's an SE, I'd write it up for sure. I'd probably check and see of there's too many turns for that size conduit and fill. Pretty much throw the book at it.

Do you know if that conduit is SCH 80?

Marc

The maximum is 360 degrees of bend in the run between access points.

The encased conduit would be considered outside the building if there was a minimum of 2" of concrete over them. This would allow for the unfused conductors to enter a panel not on an outside wall of the house. However, I would not consider what is shown to meet those requirements since not all the conduit is covered.

There is a fair amount of electrical work in this house that was not carefully inspected, mostly romex run freely across the framing like spaghetti, rather than being drilled through. I know that the current electrical inspectors would not allow the conduit in the photos. It would be OK if it ran under the joists, although I think runs too far under the house to be legal. There is a location directly above where it enters that would have been fine for the panel.