Stand By Generators not to Code!

Samuel Rock

Jeez. I step away for a few days . . .

Sam. I'm really not sure I understand what you're so worked up about. Of course a generator must be sized to support its load. If its ATS is placed at the service entrance and it covers the whole house, then it must be sized for that load (unless it uses load management). If it's only connected to one circuit, then it need only be sized for that load. This should be obvious.

If this rule is regularly ignored in your area, it's enough to simply say so. However, by your own admission, you have yet to see a single generator installation in your capacity as an insurance inspector or, presumably, a home inspector. I understand that you've seen it occur as a dealer in the past.

It seems like a peculiar thing for a new home inspector to be obsessing about. My advice is to step back a bit so that this issue doesn't dominate your view of the world. Otherwise you'll go through your inspections wearing blinders.

• 4 years later...
On 2/13/2014 at 6:49 PM, kurt said:

I have no dog in this hunt, but I'd also suggest calming down a tad. If you are seriously thinking about moving into inspection work, you need to grasp that this thing you are so worked up about, whether it is code compliant or not, is just another thing.

You will see lots of things that are not code or common sense compliant in inspection work.

It's best to put your opinion in clear impartial language based in credible reference material. Understand that various jurisdictions will interpret the reference material in different ways; because one says yes and the other says no is not proof of anything. Posting documents that need to be interpreted isn't an argument. I read all the documents and can interpret them either way.

Fabry's comment was my interpretation. Made sense, simple.

Again, I don't care. I would assign the entire thing over to the installer and indicate to my customer that all generator analysis and responsibility is theirs. That is a business decision, not an inspection decision.

The thing is that the OP is absolutely correct with all of the info he is sharing and his opinion.  As an inspector I am fully aware of these type situations and how they are blown off by electrical contractors and ignored by inspectors due to lack of knowledge or just plain laziness.

22 hours ago, John Ghent said:

2/13/2014  ? ?

yes, looks like 2014 to me and is still as relevant as it was back then.  I found it during an internet search and found it interesting.  Interesting that Housedoc's one and only post was incorrect but no one called him out on it and interesting how the OP was essentially lambasted for sticking to his guns when he was correct.  

I find this funny how people pride themselves on how good an inspector they are until they get in over their head with a subject then push back at the expert who knows more.  

Well then, let's revisit it. (And welcome back, by the way. I occasionally visit your place, but not as regularly as I should.) 

A house has a 200-amp service with a 200-amp service panel and a smaller subpanel that covers critical loads. An automatic transfer switch connects the subpanel to a generator that is sized to cover the entire load of the sub panel. 

Is this prohibited? Why or why not?

3 hours ago, jar546 said:

...Interesting that Housedoc's one and only post was incorrect but no one called him out on it and interesting how the OP was essentially lambasted for sticking to his guns when he was correct.  

I find this funny how people pride themselves on how good an inspector they are until they get in over their head with a subject then push back at the expert who knows more.  

Just when we think we've reached the top of the ladder, there's yet another rung.  The rungs don't appear until you've arrived.  I look for the one call Modesty.  I see in others who have arrived and hope to reach it myself someday.

Edited by Marc

"...I occasionally visit your place, but not as regularly as I should..."

Funny, I used to visit Jeff's site fairly often but since my last laptop swap I can't seem to get back onto it via pswd/login probs etc.  Also likely bcse I never would put any dinero in their offering dish since I am not an AHJ and most of their membership is.

You are right, Marc, about those ladder rungs.