Patching Concrete

Mike Lamb

I've done patches with Quikrete vinyl cement, and some latex splashed on the original. They've lasted 15+ years. I'm not calling it right, but it was a cheap and easy out on some cheap concrete stairs. Cost effective for a lot of years. I busted the whole thing out last summer and did it right, finally.

The patch in the picture is already shot; I'd write it.

I've done patches with Quikrete vinyl cement, and some latex splashed on the original. They've lasted 15+ years. I'm not calling it right, but it was a cheap and easy out on some cheap concrete stairs. Cost effective for a lot of years. I busted the whole thing out last summer and did it right, finally.

The patch in the picture is already shot; I'd write it.

I would think the two different materials would expand/contract differently and it would never work. My standard boilerplate for patched concrete is it always fails sooner rather than later. 15 yrs. would be exceptional.

Yes, I was surprised it worked as well as it did. By last summer when I tore it out it was pretty gnarly, but it was still providing functional service, which was all I was looking for. Ugly though. Real ugly.

John, I wouldn't waste time trying to patch the patch. On my own mess, I knew I was eventually going to tear it all out, so I experimented with vinyl cement.