Wood strips in concrete foundation

John Kogel

I posted this over in IN as well for fun, kind of a poll.

New construction, poured concrete foundation, they embedded ?X4 wood nailers in the concrete so they could start the vinyl siding down over the concrete. All well and good but I said this provides easy access for termites or ants, especially when the wood gets older and water-soaked.

I believe the wood is pressure treated so it is allowed. What we don't know is this - did they treat the cut ends of every piece?

I said they should dig the wood out of there. I guess this did not go well with the builder. What say y'all?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014215131144_Wood1.jpg

66.22 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201421513122_woood2.jpg

87.57 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014215131219_wood3.jpg

73.85 KB

Depends on the prevalence of sub termites in your area. We have them here like crazy. I'm not sure how I'd write that one up. The vinyl is anchored to it. I've seen that arrangement only once in 11 years.

I usually refer to it as a 'termite welcome mat' but I'd likely call that one a 'termite highway'.

Marc

"Sometimes the local building standards do not address these things, but deficiencies in local enforcement do not make the installation safe or adequate and especially best practice." I think I got that from a past post on TIJ??

That being said: Anybody ever recommend impel or cobra rods??

http://www.westernloghomesupply.com/wha ... estic.html