Link to the 2014 NEC

Jack Davenport

I find these "Real Read" codes on NFPA's site to be more of a teaser than a workable product. They aren't searchable, and the need to scroll one page at a time is a chore that will soon send you to their store to buy a fully downloadable pdf.

The settings they use on the pdfs that they sell are a great improvement, and I find it well worth the money to have a fully functional version of the book. For years, they were not customizable, and now they are. If you have a full version of Acrobat, you can make your own notes, add bookmarks and links, and do all sorts of things with it.

I find these "Real Read" codes on NFPA's site to be more of a teaser than a workable product. They aren't searchable, and the need to scroll one page at a time is a chore that will soon send you to their store to buy a fully downloadable pdf.

The settings they use on the pdfs that they sell are a great improvement, and I find it well worth the money to have a fully functional version of the book. For years, they were not customizable, and now they are. If you have a full version of Acrobat, you can make your own notes, add bookmarks and links, and do all sorts of things with it.

I agree completely, BUT for those who do not own a copy of the NEC or those who wish to look up a prior edition this can be a good resource.

https://law.resource.org/pub/us/code/safety.html

If you have a full edition of acrobat you can make any code text fully searchable by using the OCR function. After which you can bookmark highlight etc.

What Douglas said made sense but I have Adobe Acrobat and I was able to copy/paste as well as extract entire pages as a separate document.

For some reason, the copyright protocols aren't kicking in.

Marc

You can download the full text of any number of different codes applicable for your given state from this site.

https://law.resource.org/pub/us/code/safety.html

Of course it will be a scanned document. Which is essentially a collection of pictures in a pdf format - not searchable. Try to use your highlight tool on some text, it will tell you it is a scanned document and if you have a full edition of acrobat it will offer to do character recognition. Click yes, it takes a while to do the longer documents but it is well worth it.

Even as a scanned document it is more useful than NFPA's site (unless you intend to join). If you register with NFPA you will not only get the usual deluge of e-mail but snail mail as well.

All true. That said, I'll take the opportunity to plug the CodeCheck series.

If one's time is figured at a dime an hour, and they're quite brilliant at reading and interpreting the density of codespeak while also working the OCR and bookmarking/cataloging/otherwise notating all that density, then it's still easily worth it to buy into CodeCheck.

I'd rather stick needles in my eyeballs than OCR and notate a codebook, but that's just me.