GFCI wiring

John Dirks Jr

I discovered a wiring problem in a GFCI circuit that I would like opinions on. Here's what is happening.

A GFCI is wired on the countertop space to include protecting two down stream receptacles. With the GFCI in the non-tripped position, all receptacles test as being correctly wired. However, when I trip the GFCI, the two down leg receptacles test as having hot and ground reversed. Also, if I try and trip the GFCI remotely from either of the down stream receptacles, The GFCI repeatedly clicks as if it's tripping and resetting over and over.

This is the first time I've found this condition. What exactly is wrong in this case?

I've run across about a dozen cases over the years whre a GFCI showed proper wiring at first w/ 3-light tester, tripped normally, but showed hot/ground reversal after resetting. Bizarre. I can't fathom how this could happen. In every case it tripped again and reset properly the second time.

I'd love for someone to explain to my how this could happen.

I've run across about a dozen cases over the years whre a GFCI showed proper wiring at first w/ 3-light tester, tripped normally, but showed hot/ground reversal after resetting. Bizarre. I can't fathom how this could happen. In every case it tripped again and reset properly the second time.

I'd love for someone to explain to my how this could happen.

First we need a wiring diagram for the tester you were using. And a diagram of the GFCI circuit.

But in layman's terms ...

Juice is leaking out where it should not be leaking, or the tester is picking up stray voltages which disappear for the second test.

Voltage sniffers give confusing signals too. I had a live circuit here I wanted to disable. I disconnected the black wire from the light switch, put it all back together, then checked the loose end of the wire. It tested live! Pulled the cover off the switch and checked there, no juice was getting into that feeder. Checked the exposed end, now it was dead. Stray voltages.