My health Insurance is not "Affordable"

Steven Hockstein

I just received a notice today from my carrier Golden Rule telling me that due to a change by President Obama and since I had coverage prior to 10/1/2013 I can maintain my current coverage without any further changes till September 30, 2015! They go on to say that they want me to stay with them and they Thank me for my business!

I feel so special!

I had the glimmer of hope that I could keep my policy but it was quickly squelched when I found out that the states could opt out of the ability to allow us to continue for another year. The wonderful State of NJ decided to opt out so I cannot keep my existing policy for another year.

I just found out that my wife's employer is dropping our plan. They have paid for six weeks of coverage that we are not going to get, they are trying to get refunds.

Also, while our doctors participate in the plan none of the other employees' docs will accept the coverage - they dropped out because the reimbursement rates are too low.

Lastly, the company is located near the County line. Except for us, everyone else - including the business, resides in a County where the plan wasn't authorized to be sold. The layers of bureaucracy and complexity are so astounding that no one noticed for months.

The competency is not exactly awe inspiring...