Removing Roof Vent Stack

mchariko

I recently had a tankless hot water heater installed, thus making the need for the original vent through the roof not necessary. My question is, should I remove the roof vent stack or leave it in place. I didn't know if code would require me to remove it since it is no longer in use.

thanks

How big is the room where the tankless is installed. Has it got a combi vent or does it get it's combustion air from that room? If it's got a combination intake/exhaust (combi) vent, removing that vent won't hurt anything. However if it's only got an exhaust vent and gets its combustion air from that room and you don't have another way for fresh air to get into that room, you might want to leave that vent there so it can supply fresh air to that room for combustion.

When I put mine in, I just left it in place and capped off the end at the bottom in the room. I will probably remove it if I ever have to have my roof replaced again but much easier to leave in place if you don't want to fill the decking opening and redo the roofing in the area.

......I'd leave it as-is for the reason stated above - but I would cap it at the top in order to prevent moisture, bees etc. from entering.....Greg