Standpipe upstream of sink

Marc

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014341521_104.jpg

33.34 KB

It's a fuzzy photo, I know. Shown is a kitchen sink cabinet, twin basin. Vertical pipe in rear is for air admittance valve. 1949 home.

To the left is the drain for the standpipe from the clothes washer. I've concerns that the washer, during drain cycle, may contaminate the kitchen sink, yes?

Marc

Chad/Tom, there may have been a trap on the standpipe in the wall, I don't know but if so, neither outlet had two traps. One trap for the two basins and one for the standpipe. The two drains join in the photo then heads out to the building drain, no vent.

I can see my client washing dishes and all of a sudden the clothes washer goes into drain cycle and pushes the sink plug out.

Marc

I found an 1 1/2" drain from kitchen sink in an older house (50's). Tied in downstream was the washer standpipe, same size at fitting, up to two inches at open end, where previous occupant had solved drain issue by installing the biggest "funnel" I have ever seen to accept washer effluent, which slowed it down enough. I recommended upsizing the drain all the way to the main, but many months later the buyer told me they still hadn't done anything because the "system" worked.