generator receptacle

Jerry Lozier

It will work, but may kill the lineman trying to restore power if Bubba doesn't remember to turn off the main.

On a similar note, as I am researching adding the generator to my house I saw an adapter made for certain Square D panels that allows something similar to this installation. It is a two pole breaker that goes in the upper right slots of the panel with an adapter that attaches to the dead front that will not allow that breaker and the main to be on at the same time. Maybe Bubba saw that and decided to copy it.

Here are the generator interlock kits I found. Thoughts if you find on of these bolted to the dead front of a panel?

QO LOAD CENTER GEN INTLK OUTDOOR HIGH AMP

Aftermarket Interlock Kits

I would consider either of those for my own purposes but neither would be legal in my area because: it transfers all loads in the house to the plant; it does not accommodate a power plant of sufficient size to serve all of those loads.

If you're interested in a legal solution, you'll need a device that allows you to choose which loads are transferred instead of the whole kit and kaboodle.

This was covered in a recent contentious thread involving a new member from Morgan City, LA

Marc

I would consider either of those for my own purposes but neither would be legal in my area because: it transfers all loads in the house to the plant; it does not accommodate a power plant of sufficient size to serve all of those loads.

As Brric states, these are not automatic so loads can be selected by the user. They are perfectly legal in most areas.

I have seen some areas that will not allow them because they are easily defeated by removing the panel cover.

Here are the generator interlock kits I found. Thoughts if you find on of these bolted to the dead front of a panel?

QO LOAD CENTER GEN INTLK OUTDOOR HIGH AMP

Aftermarket Interlock Kits

If you're interested in a legal solution, you'll need a device that allows you to choose which loads are transferred instead of the whole kit and kaboodle.

This was covered in a recent contentious thread involving a new member from Morgan City, LA

Marc

That thread was about automatic transfer switches. In this case, we're talking about a manual transfer switch. There should be no reason why the user shouldn't be able to select the loads in this case.

The nicest transfer arrangement I have ever come across had all of the circuits that were backed up by the generator in a subpanel. Interlocked breakers selected the power source.

Every other transfer switch I have seen had so many pigtails in the service panel that was virtually impossible to reinstall the deadfront.