sorting boiler plate comments

In my comments library I have a title for a category called Main Panel. As you all know, we find all kinds of problems inside electrical panels. As a result, the number of comments has grown to the point I find myself spending time hunting through to find what I want. I want to create some sub categories for problems found with main panels so I can spread out the stored comments better.

What titles would you suggest to subdivide main panel problems?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JD,

Here is a screen shot of my RapidRemark panel of basic 'folders' under each folder are many specific comments or "RapidRemarks" as they are called in my report generation application.

I periodically create other folders as I find I have too many RRs to sort through. Kind of like what you are in the process of now.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014310225113_RR_ES_Panel.jpg

29.65 KB

I'd think so. Why are folders necessary?

All my comments are in one big pile. I can sort them in an instant with a couple pull down menu commands, or a specific word/phrase search.

Someday, I'd like to teach a course in database techniques. All the goofy report generation software seems to make work, not reduce it.

Clients don't see the folders ... they are for me and how I've always kept data points sorted.

Other users of this application utilize their comments in a far different way than I do. The great capability of a database driven s/w like Kurt's method.

The folders and the way I sort and use the comments is quite easy for me anyway.

I'm just anal and old-fashioned that way.

How many comments are we talking about?

So far I have 30 under the main panel title.

How about breakers, wiring, and enclosure?

I already have a separate breaker category. But you suggestion of panel enclosure and panel wiring is what I had been thinking of also. When I get a chance, I'll sort and post back how well the lot was divided.

When I used 3D you were able to search all of the boilerplate comments, I think the last version I had was something like 10.2? Anyway, I now use HIP and the comments are all imbedded into your template and you just select the one you want or write a new one. HIP is not searchable either from what I have seen.

I use Inspect Express. The comments are arranged by category. I scroll the list and click the comments. I insert all my canned comments for any section within 5 minutes. Then I write my custom comments.

As I edit the report, I change any canned comments to exactly match the conditions and add photos. How does it get easier than that?

How long does it take to search for the right comment? Longer than it takes to write one?

Well said.

And that's why typing classes would be some of the best money ever invested for those that still hunt & peck. About the only class in HS I truly enjoyed and never fell asleep in; benefits me more in this job than just about anything else.

That's exactly right.

I only fiddle around with boilerplate when it's filling in a lot of spaces, like FPE panels, or EIFS, my blurb on smoke alarms, or other issues that require a paragraph.

Most of my stuff is a short single sentence, sometimes a couple. It's often easier to simply type.

Fabry said....."How does it get easier than that?"

It can get easier, sometimes a lot easier. Easier involves rethinking report format and interface options. When you're in Word, you need to think like Microsoft needs you to think. There are better ways.

How long does it take to search for the right comment? Longer than it takes to write one?

Well said.

And that's why typing classes would be some of the best money ever invested for those that still hunt & peck. About the only class in HS I truly enjoyed and never fell asleep in; benefits me more in this job than just about anything else.

My mother would not let me take typing in high school. She was afraid that I would end up being a typist.

I use Inspect Express. The comments are arranged by category. I scroll the list and click the comments. I insert all my canned comments for any section within 5 minutes. Then I write my custom comments.

As I edit the report, I change any canned comments to exactly match the conditions and add photos. How does it get easier than that?

Can IE do double columns?

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif Excerpt.pdf

127.28 KB

Marc

I just think of something I would have written about such a topic, type those few words into the search box that pops up when I click on the windows start program and it pulls up a long list of reports where I've used those words. Click on one of the reports, scroll to the section in question - in this case electrical - find the comment, copy it, close the report and then paste that comment into the report I'm working on and tweak it a little to fit that report. Don't need to categorize a thing; just be consistent about words and phrases I use in my reports.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike