Hello Steve Smith

I thought a fresh thread would be Ok.

This porch sits on two rotting Douglas Fir posts. The short post can be replaced easily. The other post extends from the concrete patio to the roof. My screwdriver sank about 4 inches into the side of the post near the bottom. The back side of the post seems to be solid still, so there is a patch of rot about 3" wide, 4" deep and 4" tall.

How could someone use your product to repair this post? My client would want it fixed so that it can support the corner of the roof for another 10-15 years. I'm just curious if one of your products would make a viable repair.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201432714028_post1.jpg

63.07 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201432714059_post2.jpg

114.4 KB

I suggested a handyman could cut a section off the bottom and splice a new piece in. Or a concrete pier would be better.

John, I surely hope that the homeowner appreciates your efforts to conceal their identity. Choosing "Smith" as their pseudonym was pretty smooth.

A repair that would easily last that time frame could be had by making two short posts. All the parts would come in a single package and likely be faster to install and less expensive than epoxy.

Replacing both posts would be less than a days work, including fresh paint.

No offense to the real Mr. Smith.

I guess the first thing I would recommend is using the proper tool. a flat blade screwdriver will require more/less energy to insert than a simple round Phillips head. I see no need to make this a simple situation. that porch may fall and a person could get a concussion or even an open wound! use crime ribbon around area until a repair is made.

I'm not familiar with the Smith products, but I've been using Abaton, West, and a revolving cast of epoxy suppliers for > a couple decades. Wood boats, old dumps, whatever.

A lab analysis would probably provide performance differences, but as a carpenter on the ground or boat monkey in a yard, they all do pretty well. They're a miracle.

It's a miracle for old rotten window sash; I've saved stuff that one would swear was junk, and have repairs last >20 years. I used WEST for the windows.

That porch? Replace the posts. Epoxy would slow it down, but it'd be a bigger mess than it was worth.

I guess the first thing I would recommend is using the proper tool. a flat blade screwdriver will require more/less energy to insert than a simple round Phillips head.

That is my 'Professional' flat blade screwdriver in action. It came to me about 5 years ago by hitching a ride behind my daughter's car battery.

Are you saying my screwdriver is somehow inadequate? Are you maybe just envious? Have you seen Erby's famous poker? [:)]

I see no need to make this a simple situation. that porch may fall and a person could get a concussion or even an open wound! use crime ribbon around area until a repair is made.

I may have made things worse with my dilgent poking. I'd better just stay away from there and delete the pics. [:)]

I guess the first thing I would recommend is using the proper tool. a flat blade screwdriver will require more/less energy to insert than a simple round Phillips head.

That is my 'Professional' flat blade screwdriver in action. It came to me about 5 years ago by hitching a ride behind my daughter's car battery.

Are you saying my screwdriver is somehow inadequate? Are you maybe just envious? Have you seen Erby's famous poker? [:)]

I see no need to make this a simple situation. that porch may fall and a person could get a concussion or even an open wound! use crime ribbon around area until a repair is made.

I may have made things worse with my diligent poking. I'd better just stay away from there and delete the pics. [:)]

Epoxy wouldn't save this OSB I'm afraid, but I couldn't resist poking it.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201432802243_poker.jpg

40.72 KB