Window in Shower

The next project we are working on is a bath remodel. Here is the current layout, but the measurements are not exact and the angled wall is more of a 45, but you can get the idea:

BathLayout.jpg

We are looking to loose the tub and build a big shower. The small shower area would open up to become additional vanity/storage space that we need.

So, aside from the debate over needing a bath in the master bathroom, can you properly detail around a window to make it watertight?

Here is the area:

bath.jpg

The shower would encompass a little more than the area of the existing tub, tiled using Schluter KERDI system. There would be two low walls at the ends of the vanities with benches and the shower head would be where the picture is hanging on the wall.

A search here does not reveal a lot of information on this subject, but I'm guessing more negative.

Thoughts?? Are we crazy??

Again, I thank everyone for their time and comments!

The next project we are working on is a bath remodel. Here is the current layout, but the measurements are not exact and the angled wall is more of a 45, but you can get the idea:

BathLayout.jpg

We are looking to loose the tub and build a big shower. The small shower area would open up to become additional vanity/storage space that we need.

So, aside from the debate over needing a bath in the master bathroom, can you properly detail around a window to make it watertight?

Tim,

It has been a blast following you and your "puppy" on your quest.

If the window cannot be removed why not just fur out the wall abd tile over it?

Here is the area:

bath.jpg

The shower would encompass a little more than the area of the existing tub, tiled using Schluter KERDI system. There would be two low walls at the ends of the vanities with benches and the shower head would be where the picture is hanging on the wall.

A search here does not reveal a lot of information on this subject, but I'm guessing more negative.

Thoughts?? Are we crazy??

Again, I thank everyone for their time and comments!

Tim,

It has been a blast following your posts.

Why not remove the window? If that is not possible fur out the wall and tile over the glass block.

Yeah, take out the window. The house is too pretty to allow a hack job of covering up the block with shower surround.

It'll be sad to lose it though. Naturally illuminated rooms are more attractive.

Marc

as you point out, a main goal is not to loose the natural light.

Just a thought.....

Don't get locked into what's there. Ditch the glass block. Fabricate a nice thermopane window, etch the glass with a nice design, fabricate a frame that allows you to detail the tile into the glass, integrate some lighting, get creative.

If you blow that much money on your crawlspace, shoot, make the window nice. Glass block is so 80's.

What's the ceiling height?

Consider fixed transom windows, skylights and light tunnels.

Marc

ceiling is 10 feet. Fixed transom would still require filling in brick outside....

Above the bath is open attic of about 12 feet between drywall ceiling of bath and roof sheathing.

If you put the shower heads farther away, like where that sink is, and face the spray away, you won't need to change the glass blocks. One style of shower I see here sometimes has no door. You walk around a glass wall into a tiled area with the shower heads all facing into that glassed in area. The wall beyond there is tiled, but never gets wet.

Those are a real joy to inspect, too. Got your rain jacket on, there? [:)]

I just looked at your plan again.

You could expand the old shower area and stay clear of the window. There's a dead space between the entry door and the toilet. Put you storage shelves there. Then a big shower can go to the left of the entry, and you can leave the glass block wall as is.

The house I inspected today has only a shower in the master ensuite, and one yesterday, same thing. Small bathroom, you give up the tub, no problem.

I am building a very similar window in my walk-in shower. The window I have is not true glass blocks, but a seamless molded unit which is sealed into a solid vinyl frame. The window functions as 2 separate awning windows. Seal the frame to the backer-board/moisture barrier and again to the tiles and what can go wrong?

I will leave the screens on.

There's a new feature in exteriors around here that looks like a window with the shutters closed but is actually just for effects. There's no actual window.

Adding a transom window involves removing more brick than you put back. Still need to match the mortar but you seem the kind of guy that will pay for skilled labor and I'll bet that there are guys that can match mortar.

Marc

How about this idea? Enter through a door on the angled wall. There can be a toilet room on the right side and symmetrically there can be a shower on the left side. In front of you can be an "L' shaped vanity with a sink on each side. The bathroom will feel open and the window can remain. No major relocation of plumbing is needed, just some adjustments.

Placing the shower in the middle of the room and blocking the window will make the bathroom feel much smaller.

But what if he and she are both using the lavs at the same time? Their butts would be having an argument about who gets that one spot in front of both lavs.

Marc

There is plenty of room for them to be simultaneously using the basins. I am assuming the basin on the window wall will be favored towards the toilet room so the window can remain.

How about this idea? Enter through a door on the angled wall. There can be a toilet room on the right side and symmetrically there can be a shower on the left side. In front of you can be an "L' shaped vanity with a sink on each side. The bathroom will feel open and the window can remain. No major relocation of plumbing is needed, just some adjustments.

Placing the shower in the middle of the room and blocking the window will make the bathroom feel much smaller.

I wish it were that easy....

At each end are doors to his/hers closets. One by the toilet room and one by the existing shower.

Contractor #1 swears they can detail it so there will be no leakage.

I'm thinking about a variation of John's suggestion, by shifting the shower head away from the window. Instead of having a small bench on each small wall by the vanities, I may put a bench under the window.

Contractor #2 shows up Tuesday so let's see what he suggests..

To be continued.