Window in Shower

Today's inspection. This is what I meant earlier. Behind the shutter is solid brickwork and it doesn't have to match because it's hidden.

Marc

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014331174430_016.jpg

80.02 KB

Would not want that on my house unless I had a horse in my living room.

They need the diagonals on there to keep them square. Even on a horse barn. [:)]

New question....

Contractor #2 suggested something I have never heard of - using 5/8 marine grade plywood as the backer for the Kerdi System in the shower rather than green board or cement backer board.

The Kerdi installation instructions just say "The substrate must be clean, even, and load bearing."

Thoughts?

I think marine ply would work fine for Kerdi. Cement board works fine. Kerdi is the magic, not the substrate.

I wouldn't use green board for cat litter box liner.

Thanks. He explained that in his experience the marine ply makes for a stiffer substrate and an added benefit is that with an aging population (was he looking at me when he said that?) it allows the installation of grab bars and other accessories after construction without worrying about finding studs behind the tile.