Sign in to follow this  
Denray

Is this OK

Yeah, that's fine. It's just the insulation. A lot of older ones I see don't have insulation, it's already fallen off.

Marc

I am more concerned with what I am seeing to the left of the connection in the second photo. It is hard to say, but it looks like possible overheating.

So that's not conductive metal at the bottom of those cracks?

No. it's metal and it's energized. That condition is tolerated by the utilities here. I don't make a big deal of it.

Marc

It looks like common weathering. When I see it, I recommend having an electrician make up new insulation. The electricians here don't bat an eye at a repair like this.

I disagree. That looks like overheating of that connection and it should be replaced. The insulation is cooked because the connection is bad with overheating back several inches onto the cable from the power company. Simple repair that should be done for free and it will continue to work until it doesn't but it still should be repaired. I'll be the lights flicker during high loads or winds.

Looks like possibly over-heated ... remember.. connection-points are where things go wrong..... bad-connections = heat heat = carbonized insulation... Call the utes..

I agree. Looks toasted. It does not look anything like common weathering.

If it was common weathering, why would the other connector be pristine?