Pressurization

kurt

Anyone familiar with pressurization remedial practices? I got a guy buying in Aspen, the house is some kind of wonder-manse on a river, there's a million dollar water management system, and it can't have sub-slab suction. I'm aware that pressurization is a recognized remediation practice, but I've never seen nor heard of one.

Is it a standard practice elsewhere?

(I've already got the guy calling Garet in Denver. If there's anyone else out there you trust, lemme know.)

Elevated radon levels and mitigation systems are common here. Pressurization as a reduction method is not.

I've seen only 4. Two were pressurization systems for basements, another for a partial crawlspace. The fourth, I was told was a "whole-house pressurization" system, but I think it was intended to be a "forced ventilation" system used to dilute the indoor air. How could consistent whole house pressurization be obtained if someone opened a window or 5?

All were done after prior sub-slab suction systems failed to reduce the level enough.

According to my AARST guy, pressurization systems should only pressurize the part of the building in contact with the ground at a pressure only slightly higher than the air/gas in the ground. It's usually done by forcing air from the living areas into the basement or sealed crawl.