UF aboveground

allseason

This cable is run along a now heated porch. It emerges from the house, turns the corner and re enters at the location of an electric baseboard. The owner's electrician is stating that it is a UV protected UF and is for that reason protected form physical damage. That cable looks to low to the ground to be protected from physical damage, such as a person operating an electric hedge trimmer. He sites NEC 340. I'm out of the office for couple of days and don't have a reference handy.

On another note, can NM cable be used to connect a garbage disposer?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014516105338_pike%20Rd%20008.jpg

63.35 KB

Most of the UF cable that I see is rated for exposure to sunlight and all UF cable is ok for use in wet locations. The only issue here is whether or not it's "subject to physical damage." As far as I know, there's no universal definition for that. It's a judgement call.

In this case, the cable is certainly well secured and it closely follows the surface of the building. It's a little high for a weed whacker.

My personal opinion is that it's not an ideal location, but it's probably an acceptacle one.

Thanks Jim. What about disposer wiring? The area under a sink seems to me to be an issue, the same electrician put a "service switch" ( I have not seen this or revisited the property, that is my client's quote) at the connection for the disposer under the sink.

Thanks Jim. What about disposer wiring? The area under a sink seems to me to be an issue, the same electrician put a "service switch" ( I have not seen this or revisited the property, that is my client's quote) at the connection for the disposer under the sink.

If it's wired with NM cable, then the cable should be inside conduit.

Why not a cord and plug?

Back to the UF.....

That can't be right, can it? Rope stapled to a wall? I never see the stuff. Do folks see shit like that often?

Cord & plug to the disposal is just fine. Better, I think.

Yes, UF & NM can just be stapled to a wall. Hard to believe, isn't it? But true. Most electricians in my area, would have installed that run in conduit. But the NEC permits it as long as it's not "subject to physical damage."