Lennox G8Q3-90E-9-63 Heat Exchanger brittle

Kate

My 1964 house has been reliably heated by this Lennox gas furnace. The heat exchanger is getting brittle and I have a CO2 detector near an air register. I'm not sure whether to try and get through another winter in Vancouver (mild usually) or try to find a heat exchanger that could be replaced. Or to get a used Lennox G60UH-24a-070-04 installed. Advice please and thanks!

My guess is you're not using your heating system at this time, so...poke the heat exchanger with a pencil, and see if you need a new one as well as find out if your service fellow was honest. There's plenty time before winter to replace it if needed.

Get me the make and serial number. Often times the date of manufacturer is encoded within it. If it's old, perhaps it's best to replace it, regardless of the results of the 'pencil test'.

Marc

I guess I don't understand. Is this a 1964 furnace? If so, why is anyone debating anything? Get rid of it.

You're considering installing a used furnace? Why?

Because if you are considering replacing the heat exchanger in a 1964 furnace you are cheap or cannot afford a new one?

I guess I don't understand. Is this a 1964 furnace? If so, why is anyone debating anything? Get rid of it.

You're considering installing a used furnace? Why?

Because if you are considering replacing the heat exchanger in a 1964 furnace you are cheap or cannot afford a new one?

Well, she asked for advice and she didn't offer cost as a factor to consider. Clearly, the best advice is to toss an old furnace with a bad heat exchanger and replace it with a new furnace.

On the other hand, when most people ask for advice, they really don't want it. They just want to confirm their own bias.

Thanks for all your comments. I'm in Canada where only high-efficiency furnaces are available to buy. My house will be sold and probably torn down in about three years, so yes I'm cheap where it comes to replacing the furnace.

This G8Q3-90E-63 model is still working fine supplying the house with upwards forced air heating. Yes I have a CO detector on a nearby air register. And I contacted Lennox - they do not have a replacement heat exchanger for this old model.

So I will replace it with a mid-efficiency furnace. Living in Vancouver, winters aren't that cold. I've been dealing with the same furnace company/person every year for service, so I don't think I'll do the pencil test.

I have a line on a Lennox g60uh-24a-070-04 which I'm going to see in action next weekend. Is this a good model/year? Does the -04 mean 1984?

Thanks for all your comments. I'm in Canada where only high-efficiency furnaces are available to buy. My house will be sold and probably torn down in about three years, so yes I'm cheap where it comes to replacing the furnace.

This G8Q3-90E-63 model is still working fine supplying the house with upwards forced air heating. Yes I have a CO detector on a nearby air register. And I contacted Lennox - they do not have a replacement heat exchanger for this old model.

So I will replace it with a mid-efficiency furnace. Living in Vancouver, winters aren't that cold. I've been dealing with the same furnace company/person every year for service, so I don't think I'll do the pencil test.

I have a line on a Lennox g60uh-24a-070-04 which I'm going to see in action next weekend. Is this a good model/year? Does the -04 mean 1984?

The date is encoded in the serial number, not the model number.

If the house is really going to be torn down in three years, that's different. I'd try to get the existing furnace to last longer. If there are not any actual holes or cracks in the heat exchanger right now, just keep using it.

I'll carry on with my current furnace but want to have a back-up. You know how life works - it'll be -10 in January when my furnace goes, and only high-efficiencies will be available. So my plan is to purchase a mid-efficiency used furnace with lots of life left in it and keep it in my basement until (if) it's needed.

I'd be grateful for anyone's comments on the replacement model I'm looking at: LENNOX G60UH-24A-070-04

Thanks!