Greenboard Drywall Question

I thought that green board had gone the way of the floppy disc.

All I see in damp areas is purple board or paperless.

Back in early 2000's when I was at Lowe's we non-stocked the green stuff, brought in the new fancy fiberglass faced stuff. Nearly twice the cost.

No one bought it because of it. Non-stocked the fiber stuff, and they still have the green today. I've never seen anything that makes me believe the green stuff really does anything special.

Back in early 2000's when I was at Lowe's we non-stocked the green stuff, brought in the new fancy fiberglass faced stuff. Nearly twice the cost.

No one bought it because of it. Non-stocked the fiber stuff, and they still have the green today. I've never seen anything that makes me believe the green stuff really does anything special.

The green stuff is, and has always been, crap. The thing that bothers me the most about it is that the gypsum core is so soft and mushy/crumbly.

The new purple stuff is better.

The fiberglass stuff is great, but it has a finish texture to it that limits its utility in a space where you need it to blend in with regular drywall.

Personally, I feel that, if have an area that's going to get wet, you need to make that area impervious to water. If you have an area that's going to get damp enough to damage regular drywall, then you have a badly designed area.

• 1 month later...

A few years or so ago I thought that the manufacturers made a big deal out of "purple is the new green". I have not looked in stores recently, but when I have seen unfinished drywall in wet areas it has been purple.