Help ID insulation Please!

Well I figured I'd update on my scare with asbestos-

The reason I even became stressed about attic insulation and asbestos is because we had our popcorn ceiling scraped and painted. I didn't realize at the time that the popcorn could have asbestos, but when I found out I became fixated on researching and probably over reacting. I even sent a sample that had fell on the ground to that lab in California. They examined it very quickly and cheap $30. To my relief it came back negative for no asbestos! The said he found none in the sample on top of my chances being better since the house was built in 1979.

There's lots of myths that spring up when information is short.

I helped blow one to smithereens when I testified in support of a bill this past legislative session to require home inspectors to report mold growth. The Louisiana Board of Home Inspectors was still fighting it tooth and nail this past Monday when the governor signed it. Myths often die hard.

Wrote this up a few days ago. Just felt like writing:

We work in a profession entered with little more than a 90 hour classroom education, where discussion of any of a myriad of topics quickly becomes bogged in emotion and politics, where the truth is so distant that heated and painful discussion is ended only by grasping ancient policy, ignoring whether the foundation for that policy still applies, or even what it was. Given that, it's not surprising that this profession is a virtual fountain of myths, the latest of which is mold and the great liability attached to any mention of it.

Home inspector liabilities can result from either of two mistakes: the failure to report something, either by design (exclusion) or by error; or by reporting something with mistaken language. In either case, the client is at risk of sustaining damage by the inspector's mistake, for which the inspector may be found liable at some point in the future.

Mold was poorly understood in 1976 when it was first excluded by ASHI in the first Standard of Practice ever written. Almost anything an inspector could have said at that time stood considerable chance of being wrong. Excluding it was good policy then and the lesser of two evils, the greater being reporting it with errors.

The problem with this 38 year old exclusion is that it's outdated. The EPA, OSHA, CDC and the NIEH all have information on mold growth in the home. These documents each describe in very simple terms, what mold is, what it means and what to do about it if it's in your house. Home inspectors no longer have an excuse to avoid reporting mold growth. Besides, since we now have reliable information about it, a home inspector has an opportunity to reduce his liability by reporting it correctly and backing it up with information from credible sources.

Marc