telescoping ladder

John Dirks Jr

Which telescoping ladders do you think are the best overall? I know I've heard of some failures of some kinds and I'd like to avoid ones with potential faults. If they come in different heights, I don't need a really tall one. Just something that will keep me from using my Little Giant 26' unless I really need it to go higher.

Thanks.

I would only use Xtend & Climb. I use mine at least once every day, but usually several times each inspection. I use it mostly to set up on roofs to get to higher roofs.

I just make sure that each rung locks securely when extending.

When retracting for the first time, you will pinch something - lesson learned.

I would never use Telesteps or any of the knock-offs/fakes.

I too use and like the Xtend & Climb. I've had it for maybe 6 years or more. I let it get wet once and that screwed it up. I contacted the manufacturer and they sent me a new one for free. A few times when not paying close enough attantion I only engaged the lock on one side, it still held me, but getting the one lock unlocked again was a pain.

I too use and like the Xtend & Climb. I've had it for maybe 6 years or more. I let it get wet once and that screwed it up. I contacted the manufacturer and they sent me a new one for free. A few times when not paying close enough attantion I only engaged the lock on one side, it still held me, but getting the one lock unlocked again was a pain.

Do you mean submerged or simply caught a few raindrops?

Marc

I just searched TIJ for "telescopic". Previous discussions show Xtend & Climb only has problems with a fella that's much heftier than us. Telesteps be scary.

The results also date my Xtend & Climb as having been in service for about 9 years now.

I bounce around between 175 and 180 lbs. There's not enough of me to stretch the weight limits of most ladders.

I'm on my second one (780P). Wore the feet off the first one and couldn't get replacements so I bought another one at Sherwin Williams when they had it in sale. I use mine mostly inside the home to get up into attics. The 12.5 gets most of those tall garage attic hatches. You can extend the ladder and bump the access panels over and out of the way, and I find that the vinyl bumpers at the top of the ladders don't mark up paint. Spraying Pledge on the side rails once in a while will keep the thing lubricated nicely. The 780P has a 300 lb rating so it is really strong although I would never set it at more than a 30 degree angle. I don't use mine outside unless I really need to as this is a pretty narrow ladder and you don't have the sideways stability like with your Giant. When you put it up inside an attic access it can only slide over and hit the side of the access. On a rain gutter it could just keep on going. Let me know if you want to borrow mine for an inspection, I'll drop it off for you.

Do you mean submerged or simply caught a few raindrops?

Marc

I used it it the rain and the put it in my van wet. It was a couple of days before I pulled it out again.

Pledge lemon wipes is good to lub and clean it with.

I have the X&C that is rated for 300lbs, it is a little heavier but built with more gusto than its little brother. The only issue I have with it, is that when it is fully extended and it is time to retract the sections it can look like a modern dance routine when you are trying to close it! I highly recommend wearing gloves when closing it!

I have the 780P model, I think I paid $249 for it on Amazon last year.

I have two versions of the little Giant ladders, one that i use inside or on a lower roof to reach a higher roof (it is a 17 foot when fully extended) and the big 26 foot one they sell that get used outside. They are both rated enough to support my 250lb mass and light enough to haul around. Before i purchased the 26 footer i used a 32 fiberglass ladder that has just gotten to heavy for even me!

I know you guys get sick of me and the good old days, but the first telesteps I bought was in Columbus Ohio at a ASHI meeting. it cost me $900 and nearly wrecked my marriage! it lasted a couple years, broke, replaced, broke, replaced and then broke the final time. I still have it in my deer blind with plenty of screws thru the tubes.

PS: I weight abt 5/8 of Nashville friend! Svelte 201lbs

Consumer Reports also judged six 12-and-a-half-foot telescoping extension ladders "Not Acceptable": Telesteps 1205 Types IA, I, and II (discontinued but may still be available), 1600 Types IA and I; and Xtend & Climb 770. Consumer Reports did not report on other telescoping ladders by Telesteps or Xtend & Climb, but a stepladder by Telesteps was very highly rated.

Separately, CR notes that safety standards for consumer ladders are not mandatory. Instead, there are voluntary standards published by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) that outline types based on a maximum weight.

http://www.kcbd.com/story/5251323/consu ... oavailable

Consumer Reports also judged six 12-and-a-half-foot telescoping extension ladders "Not Acceptable": Telesteps 1205 Types IA, I, and II (discontinued but may still be available), 1600 Types IA and I; and Xtend & Climb 770. Consumer Reports did not report on other telescoping ladders by Telesteps or Xtend & Climb, but a stepladder by Telesteps was very highly rated.

Separately, CR notes that safety standards for consumer ladders are not mandatory. Instead, there are voluntary standards published by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) that outline types based on a maximum weight.

http://www.kcbd.com/story/5251323/consu ... oavailable

Consumer Reports are political hacks. I'll pass on anything they have to say.