What is this stuff?

Mvasquez

I looked in the attic of the house we just bought (house is in Mesa AZ and was built in 1957) and found this stuff. The inspector didn't look in the attic through this opening so he didn't see it and only noted the cellulose insulation on our inspection report since that's all he saw from the opening where he looked at the attic. It is gravel type stuff that is mixed in with loose fill cellulose. I thought that it may be vermiculite but it isn't the same color or texture as vermiculite. The material is very hard and has some pebbles among like a dusty broken chalk type of material that also coats some of the pebbles that are in the mix. I've been searching all over the net to find out what the heck it is and have come up empty handed. The closest thing that I've found online is perlite, but that is usually all white and doesn't have the same grey pebbles in the pictures I've seen online. Any ideas what this is? Thanks in advance.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201462813287_phpBum3U3AM.jpg

38.5 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014628132820_php2EbO0vAM.jpg

36.24 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014628132832_php5QopxuAM.jpg

69.89 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014628132853_phpp2as4uAM.jpg

79.74 KB

Thanks gentlemen! I appreciate your expertise and for confirming that this is perlite and not vermiculite like I first thought it was. This is a really great forum with a ton of useful information. I really enjoy reading through the forums and learning something new from everybody's knowledge and insights. As a new homeowner I'll be checking this site often. Thanks again and keep up the great work guys! [:-thumbu]

Do you have a clear close-up pic? #3 and #4 doesn't convince me that it's not vermiculie.

I agree with Kurt that this does not look like any vermiculite photos I've ever seen, I looked really closely at a sample I took (see pic) and this stuff doesn't have any of the signature vermiculite accordian like rock shapes anywhere in it. The little brown pieces are pieces of the cellulose insulation that is mixed in. Also, from what I read, vermiculite is soft like popcorn, this stuff is literally hard as rocks. This almost looks like gravel, chalk, and plaster chunks.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20146302097_phpDf2hEbPM.jpg

92.15 KB