Shark Bite on TPR piping

John Dirks Jr

Since TPR piping is to be run full size for the entire length of the discharge pipe, wouldn't a Shark Bite coupling violate that rule since the coupling has reduced ID?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014629231617_P1090629.jpg

36.41 KB

I have it at my house..... I thought I was the only fool living dangerously on the edge!

Why do people make these?

The big box stores sell prefabricated extension tubes in the same aisle as the tanks, and for about half the cost of that fitting.

He must have a long copper discharge tube there with elbows and angles, just in case a bit of water ever came out of the valve. [:)]

That fitting would be a non-issue for me, but if there are more than 3 elbows, those would be restrictions.

The big box stores sell prefabricated extension tubes in the same aisle as the tanks, and for about half the cost of that fitting.

The hardware stores sell all kinds of stuff that don't meet regulations or manufacturer specs. But they're not going to tell the consumer because it would cut into their revenues. I had an ACE store tell me they sell the clothes dryer vent diverts because people want them. They also acknowledged that the diverters are unsafe. Though the TPV extensions must be in metal pipe for our state the stores still sell the plastic ones.

I think that this may the beginning of your answer.

Shark bite approval: ASSE 1061 & NSF/ANSI 372-2010 & NSF/ANSI 61

http://www.sharkbite.com/sharkbite/wp-c ... TTINGS.pdf

Performance:

Maximum working pressure . . . . . . . . 200 psi

Maximum temperature . . . . . . . . . . . . 200?F (93?C)

Service . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Potable water

Materials:

Body . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . DZR brass

O-ring . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . EPDM

Grab ring . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Stainless steel

Tube support liner . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Polysulfone

Finish:

Natural Brass or Chrome Plated

The SharkBite? push-fit fittings have been design certified and listed to ASSE 1061/NSF 61.

The SharkBite? push-fit fittings are listed by IAPMO and are certified for potable and hydronic

http://webstore.ansi.org/RecordDetail.a ... 7AodxXoAqw

ASSE Standard 1061-2011

Performance Requirements for Push-Fit Fittings

This standard applies to push-fit fittings that can be used with one or more of the following materials: 1) PEX tubing complying with ASTM F 876 or CSA B137.5. 2) Copper tubing hard drawn Type K, L and M and annealed Type M not to exceed ?" nominal, complying with ASTM B 88. 3) CPVC tubing complying with ASTM D 2846 or CSA B137.6. 4) PE-RT tubing complying with ASTM F 2769. 1.2.2 Size These fittings shall have a nominal size not to exceed 2" CTS. 1.2.3 Minimum Pressure and Temperature Ratings These fittings shall be designed for continuous water service up to and including 100.0 psi (689.5 kPa) at 180.0 ?F (82.2 ?C). Push-fit fittings are not intended to be used in temperature/ pressure relief valve drain lines unless they are tested and rated for excessive conditions of 210.0 ?F (98.9 ?C) and 150.0 psi (1034.2 kPa) per ASME A112.4.1 or ASTM F 877.

Standards like this one are often the answer HIs are looking for but they're so expensive. Plus, many are rewritten every several years, then you have to pay again.

Code books I can afford but standards are just too much for a one-man business.

Thanks to Garry.

Marc