Homart Furnace

Mike Lamb

This is a Homart gravity furnace. I tested for CO with Draeger tubes and got negative results (just kidding).

Some items I picked up on Homart furnaces from http://www.furnacecompare.com/manufacturers/homart.html

Click to Enlarge
tn_20147804516_013%20front.jpg

105.4 KB

Homart was the trade name for a brand of furnaces sold by Sears Roebuck for several decades beginning in the 1940s. Garfield Heights, Ohio-based Dornback Furnace & Foundry Co. supplied Sears with the products.

Based on old newspaper clippings, it appears that Homart furnaces were actively marketed between (at least) 1946 - 1968.

Dornback Hardware and Plumbing Co. was founded in 1907 in Cleveland, Ohio. In 1923, W. H. Dornback Sr. added sales and installation of home heating equipment. In the late 1940s, Dornback became a major supplier to the Sears Roebuck Co. under the trade name "Homart." The trademark for the Homart name, owned by Sears, expired in 1992.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20147804613_026%20wide2.jpg

94.43 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20147804636_016A%20homart%20label.jpg

34.96 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014780484_022A%20flame.jpg

35.51 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20147804831_019A%20inside.jpg

42.96 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014780491_018A%20inside2.jpg

24.97 KB

Interesting. A centrally ducted gas space heater...if I got that right.

I never imagined such a heater ever existed.

Marc

There were quite common and I still come across them about once or twice a year. I guess you would have no place to put them down there. The supply ducts have to have an upward slope since airflow is by natural convection.

They were the defacto heating system for thousands of Chicago homes. The generic term was "octopus" furnace, for all the ducts scrambled all over the basement.

Used to see them all the time. Haven't seen an active on in years.

Same here. When I first started inspecting, I used to see one or two a month. Lots of them had been adapted to use blowers. Now I can't remember the last time I saw one; it's probably been about ten years.