Roof Drainage Problem

Mike Lamb

Simon's got it. Moronic Chicago stuff.

I've seen dozens of silly stuff like this, flowing into windows, walls, vent shafts, or whatever. The average Chicago property survey is chock full of transgressions, overhangs, all manner of building parts hanging over other properties, and general idiocy that all gets buried under the banner and approval of Chicago Title.

Most people put a deflector in under a course of shingles and shunt it over to one side or the other.

Most people put a deflector in under a course of shingles and shunt it over to one side or the other.

Maybe a V-shaped deflector would work instead of the flat one that they are trying to do.

"What about just taking the gutter off?"

This house has a stone foundation with plenty of dampness and seepage. Gutters will go a long way in keeping the place a little dryer.

Maybe a V-shaped deflector would work instead of the flat one that they are trying to do.

Probably. A well designed V-shaped deflector would probably work. Still extra stupid, but it would be better than the beer can technology they're currently employing.

Hockstein's planter isn't a bad idea either. [:-eyebrow

As much as I hate gutters and they're attendant foolishness and maintenance concerns, one pretty much has to have them in the City.

I read in the Trib the "average" Chicago house collects somewhere around 127,000 gallons of water every year; not sure if that's the exact number, but it was somewhere well north of 100,000 gallons per year. That's a lot of water to be dumping next to an old stone foundation. Better to collect it and send it somewhere other than the basement.

They must have asked the neighbor for permission to fasten the gutter from their window. [;)]

This kind of goofy stuff isn't exclusive to Chicago. There's plenty of the same type around here.

Why bother killing yourself trying dream up something to correct it now?

The houses must be close to 100 years old, right?

The buyer must have seen it before they made an offer, right? It is what it is.

I think you should install a sound gutter around your roof and just Make sure the downspouts, the part of the gutter that runs vertically from the roof gutter to the ground, has extensions so they deposit the water away from the home and slop ground around your home downwards so that will prevent water from collecting immediately around the basement and foundation.

Hope that it can help you with your concern. ;)

I think you should install a sound gutter around your roof and just Make sure the downspouts, the part of the gutter that runs vertically from the roof gutter to the ground, has extensions so they deposit the water away from the home and slop ground around your home downwards so that will prevent water from collecting immediately around the basement and foundation.

Sounds pretty simple to me. Why didn't we think of that?

Cheap, too.

The gutters are already there, and landscaping that foot and a half wide alley, couldn't possibly cost that much.

Cheap, too.

The gutters are already there, and landscaping that foot and a half wide alley, couldn't possibly cost that much.

Simple? I think not. What about that technical stuff about a downspout being a vertical part of a roof gutter? My head hurts just trying to fathom such. . .

Cheap, too.

Simple? I think not. What about that technical stuff about a downspout being a vertical part of a roof gutter? My head hurts just trying to fathom such. . .

Sounds like a canned response. Probably a program that searches for keywords and answers with useless irrelevant information.

Cheap, too.

Sounds like a canned response. Probably a program that searches for keywords and answers with useless irrelevant information.

So how do we know your comment is real? [:)]

Mike suggests cutting the eave back and I concur, or do I concurr?

Hey Mark, don't go away. We need to hear about HI in Aus, where the termites build mud skyscrapers just for the heck of it.

Are there really 10 or 11 types of termite down under?

You see a lot of metal roofs? Do you walk them?

Is expansive clay a problem? And shouldn't those downspouts empty into a cistern? Waste not, want not. [:)]

Every time I look at this, I think about what this must look like during the winter.

Ice and water from the upper roof,(hip?)to the lower, with a gutter to help back it up into a huge ice sculpture.

I mean no harm to the new guy, but, c'mon. Take a look at what's there and consider a few things before tossing some lame ass, perfect world advice that's useless to this condition.

Both of those places are still standing after 100 years + of Lake Michigan winters. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Would I look better if I had a tie on?

P.S. go to my Fb bus page and first topic is a hike eye went on with my wife this last weekend. Don't read anything else cause you'll start kicking my butt over stupid things I've said.

https://www.facebook.com/sixriversinspections

Nice little hike! Up and down almost 10kvf in 14 hours.....that's an ass kicker.

I'm jealous you can do that right in your neighborhood.