Stucco replacement estimate

Mike Lamb

If it's on a decent substrate with no major bulges or delams, Chicago Stucco would probably be in for a recoat and out looking neat and clean for about 10k.

They're up to about $25-30k for the full tilt recoat and repair on a big old 4 square River Forest or Oak Park style.

I just got an approximate estimate from a good remediation contractor for replacement of stucco on frame on an addition with maybe about 25% more area than that. Complete tear off and replace with no allowance for damage. $25 to 30K. Remediation of single houses here is typically running between $100k to 200K. All are frame construction, usually 1990 to about 2006.

A good average that I have seen will be in the $30 to $35 per square foot of material. This is tear off and replacement but then you need to add in the cost of replacing all of the landscape and cleanup for the area. But is also depends on the location of the home, I have worked several litigations cases involving new construction screw ups over the years and have seen it as high as $57 a square foot.

That's why I was wondering about the substrate. If substrate is OK, a patch and recoat would run $25k+, easy. Maybe $35k+.

We've got some here that don't need stripping; they can be patched and recoated with a cementitious "paint" and they go another 30 years.

If that place had to be stripped, and completely redone, yeah, you're looking way north of $75,000. After that, I'd have to get up close and personal to figure out the cost.

A good average that I have seen will be in the $30 to $35 per square foot of material. This is tear off and replacement but then you need to add in the cost of replacing all of the landscape and cleanup for the area. But is also depends on the location of the home, I have worked several litigations cases involving new construction screw ups over the years and have seen it as high as $57 a square foot.

I think $30 to $35/sf works pretty good for a lot of the estimates I have seen. And when you have sheathing/framing damage or need to remove landscaping, patios, decks, etc. I have seen quite a few that are probably up into the $57 range.