Technical name for this stuff?

Robert Jones

It's not common here, but I see it in crawls more than attics.

I found one that was energized while crawling in mud with a sweat-soaked shirt.

Seems I recall Marc L. posting a study concerning radiant barrier being a pretty good conductor of electricity.

Not long after he posted that article I happened across an installation (radiant barrier in an attic) that could have been compromised electrically as well.

Yes they can become energized. So can foil house wrap, foil faced insulation, metal flues, aluminum clad windows, steel doors, and brass door knobs.

In the early 90s I was working on a new subdivision when I encountered a house that was completely energized through those components. The blower switch on a fireplace insert contacted the chassis. A siding nail connected the aluminized house wrap to the flue pipe strapping. The fenestration was connected to the wrap via installation hardware.

Yes they can become energized. So can foil house wrap, foil faced insulation, metal flues, aluminum clad windows, steel doors, and brass door knobs.

In the early 90s I was working on a new subdivision when I encountered a house that was completely energized through those components. The blower switch on a fireplace insert contacted the chassis. A siding nail connected the aluminized house wrap to the flue pipe strapping. The fenestration was connected to the wrap via installation hardware.

Becoming energized isn't the issue. It's conductive surfaces that cannot carry lightening currents without getting hot enough to ignite combustible material.

Metallic flues, copper piping and such can, and do carry such currents and nothing happens because they can do it without harm.

CSST and radiant plywood are in the same category. Make the conductive component thicker or don't allow them in houses. Every climate has lightening.

Marc

Fire is a high probability outcome from a lightening strike regardless of the components. If that outcome is the basis of your concern you should be pushing for codifying lightening suppression. Removing all conductive components and living in sod huts still presents the possibility of fire resulting from lightening strikes.

Personally, I think the odds of a lightening strike are similar to the odds of one stray wire and one errant nail conspiring to place 120 volts across a doorknob.

I wondered when the spelling monitor would catch this one.

Lightening - the process of making something lighter in weight, color, brightness or mood.

Lightning - the flashy stuff in the sky followed by loud booms. It could also be greased in the '50s and '60s.

Now here is one from a state where education has been getting the small change lately.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201481593646_081314-gaaquarium_2.jpg

11.31 KB

Spelling in a non-phonetic, poly sourced language like American English is not correlated with the intelligence of the writer.

There are some fanciful quotes variously attributed to Jefferson, Mark Twain, et al about the narrowness of people who can only think of one way to spell a word. I liken spelling to good table manners, like not belching loudly after the meal, or wiping your mouth on your sleeve...