Possible Condensation Issue with HE Furnace?

gfield

Have you another photo of the pipe taken a little further away?

Marc

Marc:

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Sadly, no. That is the only photo I have. Furnace was installed in 2008, if that matters at all.

FWIW, there was no streaking or evidence of moisture on the exterior surface of the plastic pipe.

I see condensate leaks from various parts of HE furnaces several times a week. Look at it carefully from both the outside and the inside of the cabinet to find the source of the leak. If you can't see one, consider the possibility that it has nothing to do with the furnace. Maybe the cat threw up from the shelf above the furnace.

I see condensate leaks from various parts of HE furnaces several times a week. Look at it carefully from both the outside and the inside of the cabinet to find the source of the leak. If you can't see one, consider the possibility that it has nothing to do with the furnace. Maybe the cat threw up from the shelf above the furnace.

Jim:

I did look at it from inside and out. No obvious source that I could find, but its sure seemed to be leaking out from under the flange to which the plastic pipe attaches, as there is rust staining under the flange.

So, IMO, that rules out the cat theory. [:-graduat

Thank-you for your help.

It is an honor and a real education to monitor this forum and learn and learn and learn and learn. I am humbled and learn something every day.

Is it just me or are we overworking this item?

Condensation is normal, warm exhaust hits a cold pipe. The vent should be angled back to the furnace, seems to be. A connection has leaked a bit over the 6 years. It possibly has been repaired or maybe the clamp or flange is still loose.

Call for the furnace to be serviced, always a good idea when someone buys a new house.

But I would not be removing furnace components during a home inspection. Especially if you are not familiar with it. Let the repair guy see it in its untampered-with condition.

What if you drop a screw, tear the gasket, strip threads in the housing, etc, etc.

Is it just me or are we overworking this item?

Condensation is normal, warm exhaust hits a cold pipe. The vent should be angled back to the furnace, seems to be. A connection has leaked a bit over the 6 years. It possibly has been repaired or maybe the clamp or flange is still loose.

Call for the furnace to be serviced, always a good idea when someone buys a new house.

But I would not be removing furnace components during a home inspection. Especially if you are not familiar with it. Let the repair guy see it in its untampered-with condition.

What if you drop a screw, tear the gasket, strip threads in the housing, etc, etc.

More good advice.

In my defense, I am relatively new to this business and am trying mightily to learn. I sometimes may over-analyze things as a result.

Thanks for helping me do just that.

. . . That said, I don't see nearly the number of problems Katen describes.. . .

I'm amazed. Honestly, easily 80% (maybe even 90%) of the HE furnaces that I look at have condensate leaks, either at the collector box, the draft fan, or the plastic exhaust piping. I've seen two HE furnaces so far this week, and both were leaking.