Laminate flooring in winterized home

Mike Lamb

Yes, one thought. Don't do it.

Yes, I know it's "approved for below grade installation", but it's an approval shot through with specifics that are almost impossible to attain unless it's a new property with damp proofing and complete perimeter drain tile system.

When I see them in Chicago, even on properties that are relatively new, there's always the tell tale swelling and initial delam at the seams.

If you went full tile Delta FL or a Schluter systems membrane, maybe, but I'd have to see the specifics of the install.

I am not a happy fan of Schluter or any variety thereof. Tile is great, but even then the extreme temp and moisture changes would mandate a "perfect" install

I would not install any laminate in a summer home. Especially over a basement. I do have some bias against laminate in general. Engineered wood is more better and certainly looks better. I know of several installs in summer house with engineered that work well.

Michigan summer houses are a category that is unique. Of course, Minn, Wisc, Maine, Penn and New York are also similar.

What don't you like about Schluter stuff? I've found them to have the miracle materials of all time.

it is one of those products that should be taken out of the big box stores and only sold to tradespeople. it is extremely costly, labor intensive and subject to failure if you don't use the entire system.

it is wonderful if used properly and cost is not a consideration. Just my opinion.

And it is a puke color!

it is one of those products that should be taken out of the big box stores and only sold to tradespeople. it is extremely costly, labor intensive and subject to failure if you don't use the entire system.

it is wonderful if used properly and cost is not a consideration. Just my opinion.

And it is a puke color!

I agree, it is the sort of product that an amateur could really screw up.

But, it's not at all costly or labor intensive when compared to traditional systems. We've adopted it completely.

Cost is ameliorated by the speed it goes in; labor time goes way down. No worrying about getting the dry pack right or working the cream up to the top; the fleece gets you the little drainage plane and the stuff drains great. No more clogged weeps in the receptor.

Totally waterproof; no more waterlogged pans, which are epidemic in my market. Perfect for steam.

The Ditra uncoupler is great. Incredibly great. They're new floor heat that goes in with the Ditra makes every other floor heating system obsolete.

I'm doing my own shower right now with the stuff. I've even gotten over using the polystyrene pans; it's not the usual polystyrene we see; it's more dense and it works great. I used the 2" Kerdi panels on the exterior solid masonry wall; I "framed" the thing with foam. It's a miracle.

I'm doing my own shower right now with the stuff. I've even gotten over using the polystyrene pans; it's not the usual polystyrene we see; it's more dense and it works great. I used the 2" Kerdi panels on the exterior solid masonry wall; I "framed" the thing with foam. It's a miracle.

I built a 4x4 shower and had it tiled in one day. The stuff is awesome.

Continuing the 'slight' thread drift, but Chad noted he built a shower using a system ... I figured I could add the YouTube below about the "Wedi Board" system.

I'm intrigued by it and am wondering about input from others who may have had some experience with it.

My wife and I are finally getting around to remodeling our Master Bath (2-year planning project). Our house was built in 1982, typical green board around shower and flexible membrane shower pan.

I'm preferring to try to get it as "right" as possible when I get all torn out to studs and start the refacing.

It's a 14-minute video from the manufacturer, but easy enough to fast-forward to get basics.

[utube]

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344">

I should move this to another heading, but what the hell.....

It has some similarities to the Kerdi system; waterproof foam board substrates being the main one. Not a fan of the caulked seam thing and their drain assembly seems particularly Mickey Mouse. Note....I am a huge fan of foam board substrates substituting for all the crap everyone currently uses, so the basic component is probably great.

Also, if you're not building brand new with the luxury of putting the drain anywhere you want, you got some gymnastics to perform getting it to all line up.

Is your MBR bath currently a tub/shower? If so, Kerdi makes a kit specifically for that.

Comparing the two, I'd vote Kerdi. Kerdi also has some really cool drain options; hidden slot drains, linear trench drains, tile in the strainer options, etc. If you're going to do a cool shower, the drain assembly is one of those details that can really tie it all together.....the Dude abides.

No the shower is separate. I did the tub a couple of years ago.

Shower is not huge, but far larger than a typical single-stall shower.

No exotic spray heads and such. Just two heads with a valve to switch between the two. The 2nd head is handheld.

I'm kind of a KISS person. Less things to 'go wrong' that way.

I'm looking up the Kerdi system to see what I can learn on that.