contractor overdue

The door installer did a really nice job. The receptacle I installed for the openers doesn't reach so all I have left to do is fix that. Extension cords are powering them now. [:-bigeyes

Click to Enlarge
tn_201411208473_image.jpg

51.17 KB

Never noticed until now but are you using the siding to brace the walls?

Marc

The girts (horizontal 2x4's) act as lateral bracing. But not only that. There's a double 2x12 truss carrier at the top of the walls. With that, and the posts being planted 40" deep, nothing will move.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The door installer did a really nice job. The receptacle I installed for the openers doesn't reach so all I have left to do is fix that. Extension cords are powering them now. [:-bigeyes

Click to Enlarge
tn_201411208473_image.jpg

51.17 KB

Never noticed until now but are you using the siding to brace the walls?

Marc

The girts (horizontal 2x4's) act as lateral bracing. But not only that. There's a double 2x12 truss carrier at the top of the walls. With that, and the posts being planted 40" deep, nothing will move.

Right, but and this is just my humble opinion, the least tolerant member of several intended for bracing will bear the most load. That would be the siding for three walls (the 40 inches braces the wall with the garage opening). When the siding fails, I suspect the bottom 40 inches will then take over for all 4 walls. That 40 inches is good uplift capacity also.

Marc

There is lateral bracing installed in the roof trusses too.

That adds nothing to wall bracing, IMHO

My own 20 X 25' shop is braced by a metal panel exterior finish, and I live in a 110 mph wind zone. I plan to brace it later with OSB panels on the inside but the real reason is to have a solid wall surface to hang some tools. I'm just making sure it doubles as wall bracing.

Marc

• 4 weeks later...

Blacktop crew was in the area and I flagged one of the foremans down who was doing the usual marketing for extra work while his equipment was in the neighborhood. We haggled until he made me an offer I though was a pretty good deal. No more periodic gravel adjusting for me. It turned out better than I imagined it would. I'm real happy with it.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201412151174_P1010994.jpg

65.53 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014121511725_P1010995.jpg

60.74 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014121511751_P1010996.jpg

64.34 KB