Gas Valve at Air Handlers

Konrad

Sometimes the plumber installs the gas valve down stream of the sediment trap in the gas piping. Ideally, the valve should be installed UPstream of the sediment trap. That way you can isolate the appliance and the sediment trap at the same time.

Is this just a good idea, or is it actually a UPC item?

Funny you should mention that Konrad. I took an HVAC CE Class this weekend and the instructor drew a gas line/furnace set up and had the sediment trap upstream of the valve. I said "Hey, isn't your drip leg in the wrong spot?" He said "No, I've always put them there" "How do you clean the thing out then?" "Turn the gas off at the meter" he said. I said it looked like it would be a whole lot easier to just turn the valve off at the appliance. I believe if the truth was know, he never went back and cleaned them when he serviced the unit.

When I see one done this way, I simply tell the Client that Codes can not legislate common sense.

I know the IRC and many manufacturers require them. Here is the gas code from the IRC.

G2418.4 (408.4) Sediment trap. Where a sediment trap is not

incorporated as a part of the gas utilization equipment, a sediment

trap shall be installed as close to the inlet of the equipment

as practical. The sediment trap shall be either a tee fittingw ith a

capped nipple in the bottom opening of the run of the tee or

other device approved as an effective sediment trap. Illuminating

appliances, ranges, clothes dryers, and outdoor grills need

not be so equipped.

I know that's not the UPC, but it may help others. When all else fails, read the installation instructions!! [:D]

Originally posted by Konrad

Sometimes the plumber installs the gas valve down stream of the sediment trap in the gas piping. Ideally, the valve should be installed UPstream of the sediment trap. That way you can isolate the appliance and the sediment trap at the same time.

Is this just a good idea, or is it actually a UPC item?

It's a good idea and it's required by every manufacturer I've ever heard of. I'm not sure if the UPC specifies its exact placement like the IRC does though. Have you looked in 1211.5?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Konrad,

Not sure about the codes in your state, but here in "The Peoples Republic of Illinois", The Illinois Plumbers Code (IPC) rules over all other codes.

I am currently attending a class given by the Peoples Gas of Chicago and the wealth of info is amazing. Let me bottom line you..... Your Gas company will know the code. They will know the code like the back of their hands because they want to protect their butts as much as we want to protect ours...... they have spent millions fighting off lawsuits.

They usually will have (free of charge) a guideline publication for you, just for the asking. I have found them to be a great resource in the past and you may wish to enroll in one of their up-coming classes.