Overloaded

Darren

Panel is CTL rated and diagram indicates 40 circuits permitted.

There's more than 40 circuits installed so that specification is exceeded.

Whether the panel is overloaded is a separate question and can be determined only by completing a load analysis on the house.

Marc

The electrical panel has more breakers than the manufacturer intended. If they're there because you've added more rooms or appliances to the house then you should ask an electrician to completed a load analysis to make sure the panel isn't overloaded. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

Marc

Here is a good explanation on inspecting panels with tandem breakers installed - http://www.structuretech1.com/2012/02/t ... -breakers/

Great read! Although I hate thinking about all those previous panels I've seen before with tandem breakers and wondering if they were allowed.

Just ran into this tandem breaker installed that was not seated correctly. I called it out, but looking back I'm glad I did as I'm thinking its was probably altered to fit the panel.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201524151253_IMGP0162.jpg

49.58 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201524151356_IMGP0158.jpg

72.75 KB

Just ran into this tandem breaker installed that was not seated correctly. I called it out, but looking back I'm glad I did as I'm thinking its was probably altered to fit the panel.

Click to Enlarge

49.58 KB

Click to Enlarge

72.75 KB

Did you try pushing the tandem breaker in firmly? I always make sure a breaker isn't going to pop out before I take the cover off. Occasionally the cover is keeping the breaker from falling out.

Click to Enlarge

49.58 KB

Click to Enlarge

72.75 KB

Did you try pushing the tandem breaker in firmly? I always make sure a breaker isn't going to pop out before I take the cover off. Occasionally the cover is keeping the breaker from falling out.

Yes, I did. I don't like to touch anything aside form the normal things we have to touch, but in a case like this I will. It wouldn't go back in. I would never pull a breaker out completely to check if it's altered or not though.

This was a Square D wafer / tandem breaker in a GE panel.