Restrictions on Flex Connectors

Jim Katen

Jim, I have never seen that configuration. Different practices for different areas for sure.

Yes. That's why I was kind of hoping for west coast opinions. I already know what the rest of the country thinks of flex connectors.

They do serve a useful purpose out here. When an earthquake hits, that furnace could be jumping around like it's on the back of a pickup truck driving over a washboard road. The flex provides a pretty good cushion against that movement.

Hi,

I interpret it to mean that there must be a hard pipe through the wall of the cabinet of the appliance. The example of a wrought iron pipe from the valve through the side wall is fine but there is nothing wrong with having that flex inside the cabinet as long as what passes through the wall of the appliance is hard pipe or protected. For those who called it a "mess" - well, I guess you aren't in an active seismic zone. Here flex connectors are ubiquitous between the wrought iron pipe and the gas valves. These are used so the supply pipe has some give to it and doesn't snap off at the gas valve during a hard temblor. If you've ever been through one of those with the entire building doing the rumba all around you and the appliances doing their best to do the bunny hop you'll understand what I'm talking about.

OT - OF!!!

Mike

Hi,

I interpret it to mean that there must be a hard pipe through the wall of the cabinet of the appliance. The example of a wrought iron pipe from the valve through the side wall is fine but there is nothing wrong with having that flex inside the cabinet as long as what passes through the wall of the appliance is hard pipe or protected.

That's what I've always believed, but that's not what it says.