EMT on Roof

Mike Lamb

Aside from rust & the lack of fasteners, sure.

The conductors inside should be listed for use in wet locations and derating should apply to them for the heat. If the conduit is being used as the grounding conductor, then it'll be important that it not have any breaks.

But, at the most basic level, there's nothing wrong with using EMT on a roof.

I would disagree with Jim. That conduit is not secured. It still needs straps at regular intervals.

Also, simply laying it on the roof like that is about a hack of a job as I have seen. It would have been easier for them to just lay UF on the roof, and similarly workmanlike.

Typical roof conduit sit on blocks or strut, or strut on blocks. There are even a few commercial products for just such an installation.

• 2 weeks later...

I would disagree with Jim. That conduit is not secured. It still needs straps at regular intervals.

Also, simply laying it on the roof like that is about a hack of a job as I have seen. It would have been easier for them to just lay UF on the roof, and similarly workmanlike.

Typical roof conduit sit on blocks or strut, or strut on blocks. There are even a few commercial products for just such an installation.

What he said.