Step crack brick veneer

ductwork

Had an inspection today, house was brick veneer, step crack 1/2 wide at points with no displacement, on the interior, no evidence of any cracking in the drywall or baseboards, I am not one to call out a structural engineer since this is brick veneer, no evidence on the corresponding interior location.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2015328182733_step%20crack%20over%203%208%20inch.jpg

78.83 KB

That void has widened/moved after it was (at least once) patched; pretty obvious from the picture. I would tell a client that if the wall continued to move - and only time will tell if it will - costs to stabilize the wall & perhaps the (moving?) foundation wall below could be significant.

Or, like Tom said, could just be an on-going expansion crack.

When you're posting pictures like this, it would help if you would give us a distant shot and then a close up so we can better see the totality of the issue. Kind of like these where the brick expansion had pushed the corner CMU out of place.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201532821831_RIMG1783.jpg

47.52 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201532821928_RIMG1764.jpg

51.43 KB

No I do not, I will advise the client to seek further evaluation .

The steel lentil on the opposite side has cracked/shifted, the lentil on the side with the crack has cracked

Click to Enlarge
tn_201532821541_20150328_193933.jpg

21.75 KB

There is no lintel there. That is the soffit, or a piece of wood trim, covered in aluminum coil. A lintel supports masonry over an opening.

I think Tom is correct, assuming the wall is relatively long. Thermal expansion in long brick walls can cause cracks like that.

Here are a couple photos I took last month at a wall in a row of about 10 townhouses with no control joints.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2015328225848_P2198110%20(512x341).jpg

46.46 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201532822598_P2198119%20(512x341).jpg

51.38 KB

The steel lentil on the opposite side has cracked/shifted, the lentil on the side with the crack has cracked

Click to Enlarge

21.75 KB

There is no lintel there. That is the soffit, or a piece of wood trim, covered in aluminum coil. A lintel supports masonry over an opening.

It was a steel lintel, it was not the soffit or a piece of wood trim covered in aluminum, I did feel the material and it was definitely steel .

Click to Enlarge

21.75 KB

It was a steel lintel, it was not the soffit or a piece of wood trim covered in aluminum, I did feel the material and it was definitely steel .

Sure looks like a soffit and a freeze board to me.

Lentil.jpg

Thank you for your helpful response, at least I asked and realized an issue and did not just ignore or tell the client to just throw some caulk or mortar in there, but I guess with your credentials , arrogance is expected and allowed.

Lentil.jpg

Thank you for your helpful response, at least I asked and realized an issue and did not just ignore or tell the client to just throw some caulk or mortar in there, but I guess with your credentials , arrogance is expected and allowed.

Arrogance? You don't know Bill K. He's got one of the most desirable combinations of knowledge and humility that I've ever seen.

Marc

Lentil.jpg

Arrogance? You don't know Bill K. He's got one of the most desirable combinations of knowledge and humility that I've ever seen.

Marc

I think he is just making a point about using the correct spelling for the steel supporting brick at openings as opposed to the similar sounding bean. Tends to make it more memorable... but I still get them confused.[:-dunce]

Lentil.jpg

Marc

I think he is just making a point about using the correct spelling for the steel supporting brick at openings as opposed to the similar sounding bean. Tends to make it more memorable... but I still get them confused.[:-dunce]

Sure looks like a soffit and a freeze board to me.

Yeah, kinda like spelling frieze board "freeze board".