Sir Chad of Fabry

Friends,

I just spoke with our boy and am happy to report he is well. He's been working the skin off his arse doing FEMA inspections in TX and may be heading into FL soon for some more.

He has intermittent access to the internet, but you can send him an email at: TKFabry@gmail.com

He said he misses the board and will check in as often as he can.

He says it's typical HI money. If you're smart and work yourself 15 hours/day, you can die rich after 20 years or so. On the other hand, it beats wrestling engine blocks at 30 degrees F.

On the whole is beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, but it's a long time to be away.

I'll let him tell you the rest when he gets a chance,

Hi guys,

I closed my shop. Having been away for a month, I realized that I'd been hating what I do for quite some time. There's a big "for sale" sign on the buildings.

Galveston was a great assignment for the FEMA thing and being the type A personality that I am, the money was pretty damn good. Some people starve, some can make some good cash.... it's all in the attitude. For me, it's like being on vacaction. I work about 14 hours a day but when I'm done, I'm done: short term stress. 30 minutes of work and on to the next 45 bucks.

I try to do 3 each two hours, which works out to 600 a day. The pace is hard to keep up and now after 50 days out I admit I settled for 12 today instead of 16.

It's not the most money I've made, but the work is easy and I admit that I really like turning in the frauds and having some control over where the money goes. Some applicants are really in need and it's a joy to be able to help them ...some apps are out to get what they can get and it's also a joy to be able to hinder them.

I'm not real keen on Florida, but I got a call tonight and that's where I'll be after I clear my current download. At the the risk of sounding sappy, I miss this place and hope I'll have better access to the intellect that resides here when I'm in Florida.

Originally posted by Jim Morrison

Friends,

I just spoke with our boy and am happy to report he is well. He's been working the skin off his arse doing FEMA inspections in TX and may be heading into FL soon for some more.

He has intermittent access to the internet, but you can send him an email at: TKFabry@gmail.com

He said he misses the board and will check in as often as he can.

I just re-read Jimmy's post and all I've got to say is... "Boy hell, feel again."

Hi Chad!

Thanks for the update on how things are going.

How is FEMA to work for? Is the money flowing ok? Have they asked you to go down to Louisiana at all?

If you get a chance maybe you can report on how you perform a FEMA inspection. I'm curious as to what's entailed as I imagine that some stops might be "Yep, it's a total write off" and on to the next one.

Happy turkey and stay well.

Aye, one more serious mind and solid heart to weigh in on the righteous side of the scale. We need all the help we can get these days. [:-angel]

And who among us has never left a job or career over unhappiness, only to realise later we were actually a lot more unhappy than we knew at the time. Thank God for free a country and fresh start.

Brian G.

Can I Get an Amen!? [:-spin]

Amen to that Bro. Goodman!

As for the FEMA inspections, I don't know who Chad is working for or if every local is different, but the inspector I had working for me left in Sept. and he's been in N.O. and is now in a Parish South of N.O.

What he's told me is about what Chad said. They give you a list of names the day before, you make contact with these people and meet them at their homes the following day. He says finding some of the homes is darn near impossible. He also said you have those who really need help and then you have the bottom feeders.

He told me the pay is about 47 bucks an inspection and he does between 10 and 15 a day. However, he also stated that he is currently responsible for his room and board (apparently they had a base of operations where he stayed at when he was near N.O. plus they fed him dinner there but not in his present location). They supplied the rental car and laptop with the software.

After figuring taxes, room & board plus the small necessities of life, he's averaging less than $50 than what he was back here. I don't think he stopped to figure the taxes, but he will come April.

He also said the turnover rate is huge. For anyone thinking about hopping on this band wagon, you'd better do your research and talk to as many guys who are doing this as you can. Don't the the gross amount of money fool you.

Right now I'm fixing other peoples headaches and I have been foir the past three days. It's fun hunting down hard to find people and the folks who live in school busses, but it's time consuming and dramatically affects the bottom line line.

I called the assignment desk and told them I'd be happy to take care of these problem people that other inspectors dumped back onto the system, but I'd want what's refferred to as "clean up pay". The rate for my disaster is 200 a day plus whatever inspections you do, which would be fair because my current download limits me to about 8 a day. Of the sixty names they gave me, I've done 40. Of the 40 I've turned in 18 for fraud. We're at the bottom of the barrel in Texas

I just heard on the news that 1.3 million homes in LA have been inspected for FEMA, and they still have 1.7 million. In MS 97,000 homes have been inspected for FEMA and they have an estimated 200,000 to go. I did not hear anything about AL or TX.

I was back on the MS gulf coast last week at ground zero, Waveland MS. Rebuilding is still far off, they are still removing debris. If any of you have ever been in a war zone the is what it looks like. They only way you can find a home or address is with a GPS.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Anyone heard anything else from our boy? I spoke with him by telephone about 3 weeks ago. He sounded like his butt was dragging and I guess he was at or very near to his 1,000th inspection in about 3 months. During that conversation he told me that there's still plenty of inspections that have to be done yet. He also related how the contractor had let, if memory serves, over 200 inspectors go because they weren't producing enough inspections fast enough or accurately enough to satisfy the contractor's demands. He said he was staying in an abandoned school and basically eating the equivalent of army 'grub' if you get my drift.

Still, as slow as it is this winter, one is tempted. Do we know if the Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana inspectors whose lives were turned upside down by this thing have been put to good use by PARR and the other contractors?

My inquiring curmudgeon mind wants to know.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Hi All,

I've been back home for a couple weeks now and I apologize for not having said "hello" before this. The FEMA gig was ...interesting, disheartening, discouraging, mildly uncomfortable and reasonably profitable. I promise to write an "article" in the future that details the experience so you can decide for yourselves about whether it'd be a good off season income producer.

Since I've been back I've devoted most of my days to building my boiler, taking care of my now closed shop, paying the last of the vendors off, handling the insurance, payroll, and state issues that all come with the close of a corporation. By the way, I need a job.

I have a bunch of boiler pics and as soon as I can get the image re-sizer thing to work on the computer I'm using, I'll post them.

Welcome back to civilization as most of us still know it Chad. I'll be glad to see an article about what things have been like on the ground written by someone not in search of ratings.

So you've closed it all up and are taking the full plunge. Best of luck ole' man. Keep coming back.

Brian G.

Human Boomerang [;)]

• 3 weeks later...