Company name.

I've spent time deciding on what to call my HI company when it becomes a reality. I have an idea for a name, but I saw a spelling of the word at a financial site. It had that name registered. Example: "SaberSaw Financial Services" (not the real name). The work "sabersaw" is too generic to register (I think). Could some other company register it with two capital S's and I wouldn't be able to use the name? Such as "SaberSaw Home Inspections" versus "Sabersaw Home Inspections?"

Originally posted by Reality

I've spent time deciding on what to call my HI company when it becomes a reality. I have an idea for a name, but I saw a spelling of the word at a financial site. It had that name registered. Example: "SaberSaw Financial Services" (not the real name). The work "sabersaw" is too generic to register (I think). Could some other company register it with two capital S's and I wouldn't be able to use the name? Such as "SaberSaw Home Inspections" versus "Sabersaw Home Inspections?"

I believe the capitalization doesn't matter. However, someone could probably register "Saber Saw Home Inspections" or "Sabersaw Inspection Services." Though it would be pretty dumb to do.

If you're concerned about this, register all the variations.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I can only speak for Arizona, but I originally wanted to name my inspection co. "Benchmark" after my old construction company back East. I was able to register my new construction company, in AZ, as Benchmark, but not my inspection company. There was already a Benchmark Home Inspection registered.

I was told I could use "Benchmark" for any company name that wasn't already registered in that field. Trademarks are a whole different ball of wax.

Originally posted by Reality

Hey Chris, what if you wanted to name your company "BenchMark Inspection Co.?" Do you think that would fly with the "m" capitalized? Or is it too close of a spelling with Benchmark?

I tried several variations, including separating bench and mark and calling it "inspection services" instead of "home inspection". My understanding from our secretary of state's office is that it's at the descretion of the office.

The bottom line is that if you think there may be confusion regarding your company name it is not good business to select the name.

THere are enough unique names that you should consider something else if you even think there may be a conflict.

About 20 years ago there was a company in New Jersey that started and used the same name as my company except that they used the word "House" instead of "Home" in the name. I successful forced them to change their name because there was consumer confusion between our companies and I had registered my company 10 years earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is something coming from a different direction. In talking with numerous marketing folks, and since naming a company is more of a marketing ploy than anything, the feeling is that for the the average single inspector buisness one should not attempt the branding of ones comapny and logo. The opinion is that you burn way to much money trying to brand a logo and company name then what the return on investment is going to be, which is going to be very little. In the end it is you that is going to make or break your company so that is who and what you should target for marketing purposes not ABC Inspections. We have actually had a few very seasoned inspectors in our area do a 180 and abandon thier comapany names and change to John Smith Inspections.

Just another opinion from left field.

Names important, but not really. I could sit & talk about all the stuff the marketing guys talk about, but it doesn't really matter.

What sort of report format are you using (or going to use)? Tools? General approach? IOW, all the important stuff. No one is going to care about the name; they want a good inspection.

Using your own name isn't a bad idea if you NEVER intend to sell your business. Doing so you get the checks made out in your name, assuming you're doing that to rip off the IRS, is a very large step down the road to unethical business practices. It's called tax fraud.

To preach "doing the right thing" by way of your inspection, and turning around and screwing your fellow taxpayers, is hypocritical, to say the least.

I won't use my own name because it's too unusual. Also, that's a good point about selling your business with your personal name. As far as cheating the taxman, well...I've always worked where taxes were automatically withheld. I don't believe in tax evasion, but I sure as hell believe in tax avoidance because all the federal government is going to do is squander your money.

I didn't use my own name because I thought I might be able to sell the business for something in my twilight years. Now I doubt if it was worth worrying about, given the threads I've read about selling-out. I have considered changing mine to something memorable and unambiguous, like "Mr. Picky". It's not like there's anyone in real estate around here who doesn't know how I work, and being catchy/memorable does have value (IMHO). I could also have fun with the advertising. [:-dev3]

I might still convert to my own name one of these days, and use the middle initial. There could be some subliminal value to "Brian A. Goodman". [:-angel]

Brian G.

Aptly Named [^]

The official name of my company. JACK AHERN HOME INSPECTION SERVICES COMPANY.

I have no intention of selling my experiences to another home inspector wantabe.

When Jack Ahern answers the phone and makes a commitment, Jack Ahern is coming to inspect the property. Jack Ahern is going use his collective body of knowledge,comprehensive HI library,extensive experience and ability to ferret out home owner work. This provides comfort to my clients.

I've been in the business long enough to be doing second and third houses for my clients. I'm doing houses for children of my clients. I'm doing houses for relatives of hostile R E Agents.

I recommend using your name as the company Your clients need to know who to call! Not what!

This is a service business and some person must provide consistent,predictable service. Not some thing or animal or animal part.[:-banghea

Jack Ahern Needham on the Charles

Bridgton,Maine

Hi,

I've never had a company under my own name. I really don't think it makes that much of a difference as long as you do good work. When I was 19 years old, I bought a gas station on the corner of two major highways in my home town and called the business M & H Arco. It was named that because in order to buy it I needed my father to co-sign so I could get the loan to purchase it (It's not the typical purchase for a 19-year old.). I'm M (Mike) and he was H (Hugh).

I have a sort of affinity with machines and fixing them seems to be second nature to me. Within just a couple of months I had so many people coming to me from a radius of up to 20 miles around for repairs that there wasn't any parking room left in the lot and folks had a hard time getting to the pumps for gas.

It was quality of the work I did that drew folks - not my name - because I didn't know half of the folks who came to me for work. When I fell asleep driving the next year and hit a truck head on, I spent a long time recuperating and had to sell the business. I sold it within two hours of announcing it was for sale and even came out of it with a little extra cash in my pocket.

When I got into this profession I bought a franchise. When I finally figured out that a franchise wasn't for me and wanted to sell it, I had no problem doing so. I didn't get the price I wanted because at the time I just needed to get out from under and had my reasons for wanting to sell quickly.

That time, it was the franchise brand that, more than me, probably sold the business, because he didn't get all of my customers - many of whom I've done subsequent inspections for. Subsequent to the sale, when my old customers who'd lost my business card called the franchiser, looking for me when they wanted to purchase new homes, they were told that I'd retired and moved back east (Lie, Lie, Lie!). I know this because months after the sale I happened to run into a few folks who'd experienced that and ended up using one of the other franchise guys. So, I know it was me, not the name of the company, that brought the customers back again.

After I sold my company, I incorporated under the name Kenmore Residential Services LLC. I've had several registered sub-entities under this same company. Bungalow Rescue was the company I had during the non-compete time where I helped steer misguided bungalow owners away from remuddling during repairs and renovations. Your Inspector is my home inspection company, which I've operated ever since the sale, outside of the non-compete zone for the first year and everywhere else since, and The Inspector's Journal is this place.

I like being able to form separate companies with different functions under the same banner. To me it's less complicated and I have no doubt that the majority of my work these days once again comes from satisfied customers, because, since word got out that I was back in business in the Seattle area, a large percentage of my business is referred to me from former clients or is repeat business from folks buying their second or third (one his fourth) homes.

It's all about the quality of work - not massaging one's ego.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by Jack Ahern

. . . I recommend using your name as the company Your clients need to know who to call! Not what!

That's an interesting point. I've experienced the inverse of it.

The name of my business is "Benchmark Inspection Services."

I'm amazed at the number of people who think that my name is Jim Benchmark.

Really.

I first noticed it with my printer. When I went into the store to pick up my cards, they said, "Hello, Mr. Benchmark." At first, I thought it was a limp attempt at humor. Then I realized that all the people there actually think this is my name. (This with every business card bearing the name "Jim Katen.") Since then, several clients have called me Jim Benchmark and introduced me to others that way.

All I can figure is that some people just assume that a one-man service business would use the owner's surname.

- Jim Benchmark, Oregon

I frequently get asked how I came up with the name New Day Inspections. It's a long story. It's quiet here this morning, so I'll bore you with it.

I didn't want to use my name because I don't think "MacLean" has the right ring to it. So I started ponding ideas and remembered that Dave Thomas named Wendy's (the burger chain) after his daughter. That was a good idea, but my daughter's name is Dawn. And Dawn didn't have the right ring to it either. But what is dawn? Sunrise? No, I'd be working afternoons too. But dawn is the beginning of a new day. And for folks buying a new (to them) home, it's a new day. And it was a mid-life career change for me, another new day. So New Day Inspections it is. Also New Day is easier the remember than MacLean. The curious thing is that I have been asked by some if New Day has any religious connotation; absolutely none!

Now that I'm ready to retire and trying to sell my business, I'm glad I didn't use my name. It's tough to sell a sole-proprietorship, but I know New Day Inspections will be an easier sell than MacLean Inspections, if it sells at all.

I'll get off the box now.