Reporting Defective Electrical Panels.

One development in North Dallas that was built with mostly (if not all) FPE panels had a pro-active HOA.

The HOA wrote a letter to all the homeowners and advised them that if they ever planned on selling their home they first were required to replace the FPE panel before listing the home. Of course many had already been replaced, but it was a good pro-active move on the HOA's part.

Why I consider them defective....

1) The breakers, previous explanation by Katen. They don't work. I have personal experience with this if anyone's interested.

2) The breaker to bus connection....it can't work. The goofy "H" shaped receptor doesn't/can't grip the breaker. Something that's designed to not work, imho, is defective.

The ASHI thing....was the right move. Report the material. If one is concerned, they are allowed to report whatever they want. Given the extreme individualistic nature of this thing we do and the insistence on personal prerogatives, I'm surprised anyone complained about it.

The other societies will follow suit. They'll carp, crow, and preen, but they'll change if they haven't already.

Reminds me of an area surrounding an intersection of several interstate highways called 'can of worms' in Rochester, NY.

Marc

Funny. That can of worms isn't nearly as bad as it used to be Marc. When I was a kid, I always heard the radio traffic reporter talking about it and assumed that there was a big can full of worms somewhere around here....

My apologies for the completely off topic reply.

In my mind defective is the wrong term. Defective is defined as imperfect or faulty. Everything is imperfect. I am imperfect as are you. Do you consider yourself defective? In my opinion a court of law should define a defective product.

Of course you are free to use any term you wish. Like I said, I identify these panels and explain the issues.

You can quibble about whether or not the panels are defective. But there should be no question about the breakers. A large percentage of them are, in fact, defective. That is, they are improperly constructed and will fail to perform to the standard that they're supposed to perform to. This was actually decided in the NJ courts and Reliance, who bought FPE admits it.

Please provide me with a reference to a court ruling that says the panel, breakers, and any associated products or systems are defective.

I would not have an FPE or Zinsco panel in my home. And I tell my customers the same.

In my mind defective is the wrong term. Defective is defined as imperfect or faulty. Everything is imperfect. I am imperfect as are you. Do you consider yourself defective? In my opinion a court of law should define a defective product.

Of course you are free to use any term you wish. Like I said, I identify these panels and explain the issues.

You can quibble about whether or not the panels are defective. But there should be no question about the breakers. A large percentage of them are, in fact, defective. That is, they are improperly constructed and will fail to perform to the standard that they're supposed to perform to. This was actually decided in the NJ courts and Reliance, who bought FPE admits it.

Please provide me with a reference to a court ruling that says the panel, breakers, and any associated products or systems are defective.

I would not have an FPE or Zinsco panel in my home. And I tell my customers the same.

UL listing acquited via deceptive means

Note 'C' on second page. It isn't a court ruling but it admits the lack of a valid UL listing. Reason enough for an HI to pounce on it?

Marc

New Jersey Superior Court, Docket L-2904-97.

http://inspectapedia.com/fpe/FPE_Class_ ... lement.php

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif FPE NJ Superior Court.pdf

1125.81 KB

Download Attachment: icon_word.gif FPEnotice12-05.doc

36.28 KB

1125.81?KB

36.28?KB

FPE and Reliance were found guilty of fraud. The ruling did not determine if the breakers are defective.

Some FPE breakers do still have UL listing. Do you distinguish between the two?

1125.81?KB

36.28?KB

FPE and Reliance were found guilty of fraud. The ruling did not determine if the breakers are defective.

Somehow, I think we're not talking about FPE panels anymore.

I see 'FPE' on a panel, I write it up.

Marc

The name of the thread is "Defective Electrical Panels".

OK, I'll shut up. My whole point, and I should have stated it earlier, was that I believe that home inspectors should be careful reporting items as defective based on their opinion. If the product is a POS describe it as a POS.

For products with a history of controversy I might say, but probably not, "In my opinion the product is defective". The term "defective" has a very strong meaning in the consumer's mind. A savvy home seller might have a good argument that the panel is not defective.

I did a commercial inspection for a large fish-processing facility around here and the electrical work was huge, neat, tidy, well-marked and such. I contacted the guy personally and he has become my 'go-to' guy for all odd-things we find in inspection work and backs me up. You have to find one of the higher-level guys in your area to be 'your guy'.. go meet him, bond with him.. This guy does work for utilities, cities/towns, hospitals and the like and has been a huge help to me.

One must understand that a licensed guy here is a Local 134 guy and there is a party line that doesn't include FPE. Which is funny, because 134 always gets behind any idea that creates work. If I could sell the Local on the idea, it would be a tidal wave of guys promoting replacement.

This is my boiler plate for FPE stab-loc panels.

The electrical panel in this home is a Federal Pacific Stab-Loc. This type of panel is known for higher incidence of failures / safety problems. It is my opinion that it is a fire hazard; REPLACE the panel. See http://www.inspect-ny.com/fpe/fpepanel.htm for more information.

And by the way our state mandates using the term deficient and defines the term by the same mandate.

"(5) Deficiency-- In the reasonable judgment of the inspector, a condition that:

(A) adversely and materially affects performance of a system, or component; or

the

(B) constitutes a hazard to life, limb, or property as specified by these standards of practice."

. . . FPE and Reliance were found guilty of fraud. The ruling did not determine if the breakers are defective.

Actually, it did. The breakers were unable to pass the UL testing procedure - they were defective - and the company falsified the testing to cover it up -- thus the fraud.

*All* of them have a UL listing. The entire issue is that the manufacturer faked the testing that made that listing possible.

The name of the thread is "Defective Electrical Panels".

OK, I'll shut up. My whole point, and I should have stated it earlier, was that I believe that home inspectors should be careful reporting items as defective based on their opinion. If the product is a POS describe it as a POS.

The term "defective" is no more or less an opinion than the term "POS." If you think that one is an opinion, and the other isn't think more carefully about it.

. . . The term "defective" has a very strong meaning in the consumer's mind. A savvy home seller might have a good argument that the panel is not defective.

Home sellers have good arguments against pretty much everything that we say. If you say that a panel is a POS, the home seller might have a good argument that it's not. If you say that the sky is blue, the home seller will have a good argument that the sky is red.

The fact that the term "defective" has a strong meaning in the consumer's mind is a really good reason to use the term. When you start casting about for a term with less meaning, your "meaning" gets watered down.

The electrical panel in this home is a Federal Pacific Stab-Loc. This type of panel is known for higher incidence of failures / safety problems. It is my opinion that it is a fire hazard; REPLACE the panel. See http://www.inspect-ny.com/fpe/fpepanel.htm for more information.

And by the way our state mandates using the term deficient and defines the term by the same mandate.

"(5) Deficiency-- In the reasonable judgment of the inspector, a condition that:

the

(B) constitutes a hazard to life, limb, or property as specified by these standards of practice."

So, I'm curious. How come the word "deficient" doesn't show up in your boilerplate?

the

So, I'm curious. How come the word "deficient" doesn't show up in your boilerplate?

Part of the mandated report form. There is a check box marked "deficient" that precedes the section. In the form, Each sections comments has 4 mandated boxes for Inspected, Not Inspected, Not Present, and Deficient with all of the comments following.