Prohibition against outlets above the tub

Marc

2012 IRC E4002.11 Bathtub and shower space. A receptacle shall not be installed within or directly over a bathtub or shower stall.

Arguable depending on where you place the emphasis when reading the rule as to within a bathtub... or within a bathtub... ...stall.

I would call this out just like a pendant light hanging over a tub.

Maybe if the tub deck was not there and it was a free standing tub a few feet away, but there is no doubt that if a window was on that wall it would have to be tempered because it forms part of the enclosure of the tub.

Also, E4003.11 Bathtubs and shower areas. Cord-connected luminaries , chain-, cable-, or cord suspended-luminaries, lighting track, pendants, and ceiling -suspended (paddle) face shall not have any parts located within a zone... This zone is all encompassing and includes the area over the tub or shower...

Even if it is not covered in the specifics of the code, it is a DUMB place for a TV and I am going to tell them lest their survivors come asking me why I did not warn about this!

. . . Even if it is not covered in the specifics of the code, it is a DUMB place for a TV and I am going to tell them lest their survivors come asking me why I did not warn about this!

I suggest adding Article 101 to the NEC. It would consist of a single section, titled, "Don't do stupid things."

I know this does not answer the question, but... assuming the TV can unplug itself before falling in the water, then what the heck?

TV falls and dangles from its cord. Bather sits up to catch it and put it back in its place. . .

On another note, how long can you watch TV before you look like a prune?

This was established back in the '50s: Exactly 1-1/4 episodes of I Love Lucy.

Or somebody plugs something else into the outlet. Something that has a longer cord and would easily reach the tub.

Plenty of problems with this set up.

I know this does not answer the question, but... assuming the TV can unplug itself before falling in the water, then what the heck?

TV falls and dangles from its cord. Bather sits up to catch it and put it back in its place. . .

On another note, how long can you watch TV before you look like a prune?

This was established back in the '50s: Exactly 1-1/4 episodes of I Love Lucy.

2012 IRC E4002.11 Bathtub and shower space. A receptacle shall not be installed within or directly over a bathtub or shower stall.

Arguable depending on where you place the emphasis when reading the rule as to within a bathtub... or within a bathtub... ...stall.

I would call this out just like a pendant light hanging over a tub.

Maybe if the tub deck was not there and it was a free standing tub a few feet away, but there is no doubt that if a window was on that wall it would have to be tempered because it forms part of the enclosure of the tub.

Also, E4003.11 Bathtubs and shower areas. Cord-connected luminaries , chain-, cable-, or cord suspended-luminaries, lighting track, pendants, and ceiling -suspended (paddle) face shall not have any parts located within a zone... This zone is all encompassing and includes the area over the tub or shower...

Even if it is not covered in the specifics of the code, it is a DUMB place for a TV and I am going to tell them lest their survivors come asking me why I did not warn about this!

The pendant light is clearly prohibited. The airspace above the footprint is also included. The footprint of the tub is less defined as it leaves room for interpretation if it includes the surrounding deck.

It may be arguable that that's a wet location.

That might be hard to argue, especially if that is only a tub, which it looks like based on the wall and window finishes.

Or somebody plugs something else into the outlet. Something that has a longer cord and would easily reach the tub.

Plenty of problems with this set up.

The sames issues could happen with a receptacle installed in a code compliant location 1/16" outside the footprint.