Engineered Hardwood glued to foundation -- DFW

fmgirl

Had Shaw engineered hardwoods installed in May 2015 -- during the rain bonanza we experienced. Floor was installed on day of delivery. Current inspection states "peaking" is the problem. Rubber mallets were used in the installation. Mfg is denying defect and pointing to installation: no acclimation, no moisture testing prior to install, rubber mallets used and areas where there is less than 6" space between end joints; 100 lb roller not used to set adhesive.

What does this mean? "Zero vertical expansion results in pushing the floors to the center, which facilitates peaking."

Is everyone using a moisture meter prior to starting install? Is everyone rolling flooring to set adhesive?

Thanks!!

Well, I'm sorry to say if those are the installation instructions then they should be followed. I would never put down a wood floor the day the materials were dileivered, but would allow them to sit inside the house for at least a few days.

Sorry you are having issues.

What Tim said.

Yes, any competent installer will use a moisture meter, they'll document their measurements photographically or via video, they'll acclimatize the material for as long as it takes, and they'll follow any other particulars the mfg. dictates.

Had Shaw engineered hardwoods installed in May 2015 -- during the rain bonanza we experienced. Floor was installed on day of delivery. Current inspection states "peaking" is the problem. Rubber mallets were used in the installation. Mfg is denying defect and pointing to installation: no acclimation, no moisture testing prior to install, rubber mallets used and areas where there is less than 6" space between end joints; 100 lb roller not used to set adhesive.

What does this mean? "Zero vertical expansion results in pushing the floors to the center, which facilitates peaking."

Is everyone using a moisture meter prior to starting install? Is everyone rolling flooring to set adhesive?

Thanks!!

The manufacturer just threw the installer under the bus. Call them and ask for a check so you can get someone who understands what they are doing to redo the installation with new materials. I don't think there is any way to fix what they screwed up. Hardwood floor installation is not a job for amateurs.

Make sure in addition to all of this that they do a moisture test of the slab after removing the old stuff. LOTS of slabs in our area do not have adequate vapor barriers and the stuff will crawl off the slab even if everything else is done correctly.

I'm also not a fan of glue down wood floors over concrete, installing a nailing base is better in my opinion.

Agree with everyone above. Your installation is 'hosed'.

Yes, we have had excessively high rain and high humidity this spring and early summer and all wood (or even laminate) product needs to sit in the home for almost a week to get acclimated to the environment.

Installers should have tested moisture content, made sure floor (slab) was level ... if not put down a level-set compound, put down a vapor barrier if attempting to glue directly to slab.

I agree with Jim L., I also prefer a nail down surface and that means a wood decking set on top of slab then the wood flooring gets installed.

You will be in the midst of a finger-pointing session, but stay strong.

Manufacturer is correct in that the "rules" of how the product is to be installed should have been followed. Can they provide a list of installers who they consider approved/trained to install their product in the D/FW market?

Best wishes to you.

Yes, we have had excessively high rain and high humidity this spring and early summer and all wood (or even laminate) product needs to sit in the home for almost a week to get acclimated to the environment.

Installers should have tested moisture content, made sure floor (slab) was level ... if not put down a level-set compound, put down a vapor barrier if attempting to glue directly to slab.

I agree with Jim L., I also prefer a nail down surface and that means a wood decking set on top of slab then the wood flooring gets installed.

Manufacturer is correct in that the "rules" of how the product is to be installed should have been followed. Can they provide a list of installers who they consider approved/trained to install their product in the D/FW market?

Best wishes to you.

Nolan, are you able to perform a flooring inspection? I'm trying to locate a second inspector to corroborate the first inspection provided by the manufacturer. Some of the planks look to be "de-laminating" and were there a manufacturing problem, I'd not want to leave them out of the fun. :) Thanks!!

Amy

Best wishes to you.

Nolan, are you able to perform a flooring inspection? I'm trying to locate a second inspector to corroborate the first inspection provided by the manufacturer. Some of the planks look to be "de-laminating" and were there a manufacturing problem, I'd not want to leave them out of the fun. :) Thanks!!

Amy

No, I won't do such an inspection. You need to get in touch with a qualified, reputable installer (recommended by the manufacturer to have been trained/knowledgeable in their product) and have them provide an independent review.

Manufacturer should have several sources to choose from.

I don't have any installers that I can recommend and would be searching just as I'm recommending you do.

Sry for delay in reply as my wife and I were on a few days holiday with two of our grandkids.

Best wishes to you.

Amy

hi Amy

hope you found someone for your inspection needs

if not i installed & trimmed for a number of local flooring contractors back in the 80's~90's & now provide any type flooring install & moisture analysis inspections

call or email through my website if service is still needed or you need a great installer