Egress route

Marc

Today's house has DIY written every which way you turn. It has a small bedroom with only one door and that door opens to the master bedroom. Can't even take a piss or get a drink of water without going thru the master bedroom.

Any applicable cites? I can't find anything.

How many years in this gig before I've seen it all?

Marc

BR is supposed to have an egress window, opening min. 22" wide 24" high, 5.7 SF, or a door to outside. What you describe sounds to me like a walk in closet.

It has a window.

Marc

I have also seen more than one closet with a window in it!

I guess it's possible it was previously a large closet. That would downgrade it from 2 Bed/1 Bath to 1 Bed/1 Bath. It had a full size bed, chest o' drawers, other furniture. No closet. It's an addition done a couple decades ago. Original house was 1Bed/1Bath about 80 yrs old. Out in the boonies.

Marc

Access into the room does not dictate if it is a legal sleeping room. The current code does not care if you have to go through a bedroom to access another bedroom. It may be poor design and a difficult social situation but the code does not determine that.

Aside from the requirements for habitable space, egress is the issue and the ability to get out in the event of a fire (or have a fireman enter into the room for a rescue).

The same logic applies to a basement sleeping room (bedroom). You may have to go through the kitchen to get to the basement door, down the basement stairs, and then through the basement recreation room to enter into the sleeping room. As long as the room meets the requirements for a safe and habitable space, and the room has the required egress, it is considered a legal sleeping room.