Strange in Floor Pump Maybe?

Mike Lamb

This 1952 house had an odd machine anchored to the basement floor. I thought I took a wide shot but I guess I didn't. I tried to remove the cover but couldn't. I want to think it had something to do with drainage, either plumbing or ground water. There were no above floor pipes. The house had all gravity sewer.

There was a newer French drain installed at the basement foundation perimeter.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201599165333_021Machine.jpg

48.22 KBt

This 1952 house had an odd machine anchored to the basement floor. I thought I took a wide shot but I guess I didn't. I tried to remove the cover but couldn't. I want to think it had something to do with drainage, either plumbing or ground water. There were no above floor pipes. The house had all gravity sewer.

There was a newer French drain installed at the basement foundation perimeter.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201599165333_021Machine.jpg

48.22 KBt

Gate valve motorized shut-off for sewer main to prevent sewage back-up in heavy rainfall is my best guess (for all you non-Chicago area guys, Chicago and many surrounding suburbs have one sewer system that handles both sanitary water and rain water; this is directly related to why the flow of the Chicago River was reversed back about 1900).

• 5 weeks later...