New flashing detail

Leighton Jantz

Anyone seen flashings like this? House built in '13 they are over all windows, doorways etc.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2015918234222_image.jpg

33.6 KB

appear to be field fabricated sill pan flashing @ head and sill

https://www.google.com/search?q=sill+pa ... 00&bih=779

i'd have to see a window head flashing

the upper at the hose sillcock really isn't the proper method

also i'd like to see tooled elastomeric sealant at the dissimilar material joints

even when the purported wrb is present

Overkill or good practice?

Looks like he didn't have the correct flashing part in his truck so he made up something. It's not what the vinyl manufacturer had in mind and I can't tell for sure from the photo whether it will leak or not.

I'd write it to explain it but would not make any recommendation, just FYIO (for your information only).

Marc

It looks like the guy understood exactly what he was trying to do. Head cap w/back and end dams, kickout at the bottom. J channel prevents the channel extending past the opening, but that's about it. If it was caulked at the upper edge of the head cap, it'd actually be pretty good.

The Vinyl Siding Institute has a couple details in their manual that are sort of kind of like this. Ideally, the flashing would extend past the J channel, but that's not possible.

I'd guess that the job was well done based on the detail around the hose bibb.

Originally posted by kurt

. . . I'd guess that the job was well done based on the detail around the hose bibb.

Agreed. I'm not sure what the other guys are seeing as a problem here, unless they're unaware of flashings with end dams.

These have been common in better siding installations in my area for the past 15 years or so. There's even a variant in which the end dam goes up and also goes down again, so there's no need to overhang the trim.

Pics attached.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2015919123858_End%20Dam%201.jpg

26.9 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2015919123913_End%20Dam%202.jpg

27.74 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2015919123930_End%20Dam%203.jpg

60.79 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2015919123943_End%20Dam%204.jpg

44.79 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2015919124012_End%20Dam%205.jpg

34 KB

. . . I'd guess that the job was well done based on the detail around the hose bibb.

Agreed. I'm not sure what the other guys are seeing as a problem here, unless they're unaware of flashings with end dams...

The fiber cement (or aluminum or whatever that is) is not caulked at the sides. That side of the J channel does nothing to prevent water entry.

Marc

Doesn't matter. J channel isn't flashing, it's not intended to keep water out, and it's not supposed to be, or at least, it's not required to be caulked.

It's entirely possible the installer went to the trouble of making custom aluminum pans for everything but failed to install any of the sub flashing under the house wrap, that stuff that keeps the water out.

Vinyl = rain screen. Don't caulk it.

Agreed. I'm not sure what the other guys are seeing as a problem here, unless they're unaware of flashings with end dams...

The fiber cement (or aluminum or whatever that is) is not caulked at the sides. That side of the J channel does nothing to prevent water entry.

Marc

It's vinyl and it's a rain screen. Water gets through vinyl all the time - flows through it like a sieve and flows right back out again. Caulk is seldom successful on vinyl anyway because it expands and contracts so much.

In my opinion anything butting up to a J channel should be caulked to keep bulk water out. I have seen quite a bit of rotted OSB below the sides of J channels at windows, doors, etc. where they were not caulked.

A proper WRB and flashing would eliminate a lot of that, but with newer construction I don't count on anything being proper.

Your opinion runs counter to all the vinyl siding installation guidelines.

It wouldn't eliminate a lot. It would eliminate all of it.

What the naysayers are betting is the guy did all that extra work making overkill flashing with end/back dams and a kick at the bottom, which is really quite nice and overkill by a lot, but totally blew everything under the siding.

Maybe. Seems kinda unlikely though.

Your opinion runs counter to all the vinyl siding installation guidelines.

It wouldn't eliminate a lot. It would eliminate all of it.

What the naysayers are betting is the guy did all that extra work making overkill flashing with end/back dams and a kick at the bottom, which is really quite nice and overkill by a lot, but totally blew everything under the siding.

Maybe. Seems kinda unlikely though.

Vinyl siding installation guidelines don't call for caulk, but virtually every window manufacturer does. I realize that does not apply to other joints. I don't recall seeing details like that with any vinyl siding installation, but I see similar details with stucco remediation projects.

The window mfg's. caulk spec is corporate legal looking for anything they can throw that deflects blame. It's not at all necessary for vinyl because all the stuff that keeps the water out is on the house (or should be on the house) before the first piece of vinyl ever hits the wall.

I'm seeing more and more ZipSystem walls. Anyone got long time experience with this stuff? I like it (or the idea of it) better than housewrap.

I've seen a few Zipsystem Roof sheathing installations. Like most, follow manufacturer's instructions it seems to work well. But there were several issues where the manufacturer's instructions weren't followed until it was pointed out to them during the pre-roofing inspection. Haven't seen much on the walls.