Neighbor's brickwork

pm124

Dear all, I recently posted about deteriorating lintels on a home. There are many homes built by the same contractor and the same developer and same architect in 1925 that are identical to this one. May have what looks to be deteriorating facade work of various kinds. I assume that since these houses are attached, that this is problematic. Would you buy a house if the neighbors looked like these? Is this an indicator of impending disaster? Or are these also just deteriorating lintels?

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I'd call it another day on the job looking at simple stuff that no one is repairing correctly.

My only trepidation would be if I perceived a total lack of interest in the individuals I was "investing with" to fix stuff. I wouldn't want someone else's lack of interest to reflect on my investment.

Houses are simple and repairs are easy. It's people that are the problem.

I wouldn't simply toss it all into the 'deteriorating lintel' bin. I'd try to break it down before walking away from it. There may, or may not, be a foundational element to it. There's the life of brick and mortar to consider. There seems to be a lintel element in there too. Then there's what Kurt is alluding to: folks doing things that they don't know how to do or just don't care to do it right.

Time to do some homework if you're thinking of buying into the area.

Marc

There's no foundation element to it and the life of brick and mortar will hold on just fine. This is lintels and "tuck pointing" that's atrociously bad. In 1925 there were still real Mason's and they understood mortar. These poor houses have bad lintels and they've been abused, that's all.

Wonderful. Thanks again for the help. This is such a great service. And you probably saved all of these buildings. At this point, I will go to the neighbors and make sure all is addressed in the spring. The architects and contractors were top notch for these places even though they were built in the middle of a boom.

The inspector thought that the foundation was ok. Not too many earthquakes in NYC.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd call it another day on the job looking at simple stuff that no one is repairing correctly.

My only trepidation would be if I perceived a total lack of interest in the individuals I was "investing with" to fix stuff. I wouldn't want someone else's lack of interest to reflect on my investment.

Houses are simple and repairs are easy. It's people that are the problem.

Here you go Kurt, thinking you might like this "repair".

Click to Enlarge
2016131192415_image.jpeg

1206.73 KB