Report disclosure to a 3rd Party

So how many of you have preformed an inspection. Your clients decide not to buy the home. You then get contacted by another potential buyer for that house. They know you did an inspection. They want to buy the inspection report from you. What do you do ? 1.Sell it to them. 2. Offer to do another inspection for them at discounted rate. Or 3. decline the inspection ?

So how many of you have preformed an inspection. Your clients decide not to buy the home. You then get contacted by another potential buyer for that house. They know you did an inspection. They want to buy the inspection report from you. What do you do ? 1.Sell it to them. 2. Offer to do another inspection for them at discounted rate. Or 3. decline the inspection ?

As long as my previous customer is no longer attempting to buy the house, I offer to do a new inspection for the new customer at my full rate.

They're paying me to receive my expertise. It doesn't matter if I've shared that expertise with someone else previously.

Agents and past clients will sometimes sell or donate copies of your old reports. Professionals do not indulge in this practice.

You will lose favor with a few people but for the long haul, keep to the high road and provide a new, fresh report for each new client.

If someone pressures you to pass a copy on to a 3rd party, politely ask them to sign a waiver that removes you from any responsibility for the report. That will put a stopper on the proceedings right quick.

So the answer is 4. Offer to do the full inspection for the full fee. And do the inspection complete as you would for anyone. The prior knowledge just helps you get through the dull parts sooner, but as I said in your other thread, the second report tends to be a bit better, like a book that's been edited, with better pictures too.

By law, we can't disclose that information to a third party.

I'd be looking for someone's head if I paid for an inspection, walked, and found out someone had shared my personal business with others.

For a while I was getting calls for pre listings. That came to an abrupt halt after I started getting calls for copies for perspective buyers. They didn't understand why I declined. Apparently the agents thought they could use it as some kind of backdoor sales tool. One of these houses is currently being advertised as having been pre inspected. A certified "OK used house."

In the past I have offered to do another inspection at the full rate. Some people were looking for a reduced rate and typically I said no. The reason is I am still spending the same amount of time on the second inspection and report writing. Most clients understand, some don't however. Better to play it safe and be above board with everyone.

In the past I have offered to do another inspection at the full rate. Some people were looking for a reduced rate and typically I said no. The reason is I am still spending the same amount of time on the second inspection and report writing. Most clients understand, some don't however. Better to play it safe and be above board with everyone.

You're making the right decision for the wrong reason. You're thinking like an employee when you equate your time and effort with your price. Instead, link the price to the benefit that the customer receives.