Houston residential home inspector needed please

Hello friends,

Wishing you and your families a happy new year. I am new to the forum, so please don't mind me reaching out with a question.

My girlfriend is buying an older resale residential home in the Houston, TX area. She is in the period during which she needs to conduct the inspection in.

I was wondering if you could share some recommendations for excellent home and possibly well/septic inspectors in the Houston, TX area?

I am an academic employed in Houston, and can gladly share my credentials, so you know I am not reaching out with any other intent than to find an excellent inspector for my girlfriend.

I really appreciate your help.

Thank you,

Oxonian

Hello Andy,

I took a look at several sample reports offered by inspectors in the Houston area. After 20 minutes, I gave up. You see, a good way to find your own inspector is to look at his sample report. Most inspector websites have at least one. What you're looking for is an inspector that can communicate. Most cannot. As an academic, you're well suited to screen them. Look for brevity. Be prepared to be insulted though as most are terrible. Wish I could be more helpful.

Marc

Hello Marc,

Thank you for your message, I appreciate it.

I will revisit some of the inspector names I have come across and attempt to screen them using the method you have suggested.

If anyone else has recommendations to share, or even caution on inspectors to avoid, I really appreciate it.

Thank you so much,

Oxonian

Clay Collings or Paul Roebuck are two names that come to mind in Houston. Both are heavily involved in teaching continuing ed courses as well as promoting inspector association education through TPREIA http://www.tpreia.com/inspectors.html

I have dealt with both and can attest to their character and knowledge.

Jim's offerings are excellent folks and I can also add Mike Cothran. He, along with Clay and Paul are excellent.

If I were still living and inspecting in Houston I would choose me (no pride here), but I've referred many of my former Houston area clients to all three of these folks noted.

All very good.