You know you're right but still need reassurance?

Erby

This is a three phase service, right. The owner, who claims to be an electrician in a past life, assures me that it's not!!

Click to Enlarge
tn_2016114221425_B4U074.jpg

42.65 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2016114221446_B4U076.jpg

40.46 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2016114221545_B4U028.jpg

34.62 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201611422171_B4U023.jpg

46.55 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2016114221751_B4U025.jpg

49.87 KB

Of course, the whole thing is a cluster of this added here, that added there, then moved over here.

Didn't realize the board was that active. I see it's already been looked at 21 times.

================

The electrical system is a three phase 200 Amp electrical service with overhead conductors. The system, while it makes the lights come on and the fans go around, etc, is an unsafe mess. Problems include:

? The mast for the service entrance conductors has pulled one of the bracing cables loose and is leaning.

? Some of the insulation on the service entrance conductors at the weather head is cracked and deteriorated.

? The panel at the back hallway is an old outdated fuse box instead of a breaker box (some insurance companies won't insure this type of distribution panel, make sure yours will)

? There are several lugs designed to hold one wire that are double lugged with two wires.

? Aluminum and copper wiring together under the same lugs.

? Wires hanging loose in the box.

? Ground wires and neutral wires on the same bus bar in sub panels (neutrals not isolated from box)

? Wires entering box without strain relief clamp or bushing to protect the wire from the sharp edge of the box.

? Extension cords being used as permanent wiring.

? Some electrical receptacles have been painted over so many times I couldn't get my tester plugged into them.

Access to the panel on the inside wall of the storage / prep room was blocked by equipment and storage. I was unable to inspect this panel.

I could go into more detail but you get the idea. The system is a mess that needs repair and updating. Consult a qualified electrician, familiar with three phase services, and repair/ replace as you and he agree would be best. It won't be cheap.

Photos # 1,2 and 4 show accommodations for three phase service. I'm in the habit at looking at the transformer connections on the pole to confirm it beyond all doubt.

Folks often have a derelict three phase connection, service drop and maybe main panel but haven't used all three phases for so long that they forgot about it or perhaps they bought the property with 3 phase service and didn't know it.

You can also confirm it with just your meter at the panel fuses if you know how.

Marc

Didn't realize the board was that active. I see it's already been looked at 21 times.

================

The electrical system is a three phase 200 Amp electrical service with overhead conductors. The system, while it makes the lights come on and the fans go around, etc, is an unsafe mess. Problems include:

Defect list, etc., etc.....

I could go into more detail but you get the idea. The system is a mess that needs repair and updating. Consult a qualified electrician, familiar with three phase services, and repair/ replace as you and he agree would be best. It won't be cheap.

I like how you wrote this up.