getting snow off roof

We're expecting to get hit hard by snowfall here in central MD. I'm forming a strategy to get snow off the roof of my 24x36 pole building. It has metal roof and siding and it's completely un-insulated.

My idea is to use my jet heater. It puts out a good amount of heat, most of which rises through the trusses to the roof panels. What do you think is a better plan?

1) Fire the heater up early in attempt to prevent snow from accumulating?

2) Wait for a significant amount to fall first, then fire the heater to initiate an avalanche of bulk?

Why don't you just wait and see if it happens? If it turns out to be the sensational storm they're predicting, you'll know what to do.

Want some free TV advertising? When the storm hits and the news runs the strip of closings and cancellations at the bottom of the screen, be on it.

We had a three day lake effect storm this week that's still not quite over. While watching the news, I noticed along with the usual school and church functions there were were business closings on the strip.

We're expecting to get hit hard by snowfall here in central MD. I'm forming a strategy to get snow off the roof of my 24x36 pole building. It has metal roof and siding and it's completely un-insulated.

My idea is to use my jet heater. It puts out a good amount of heat, most of which rises through the trusses to the roof panels. What do you think is a better plan?

2) Wait for a significant amount to fall first, then fire the heater to initiate an avalanche of bulk?

Good Lord. Look out different window and have a glass of red wine.

I'll pass on the wine but I do have a 12 pack.

I'll pass on the wine but I do have a 12 pack.

If it was me contemplating your delema I would get more beer.

If it was me contemplating your delema I would get more beer.

Yup!

Here's how we do it. Everyone empties the grocery store shelves of milk and bread. Nobody really knows why. It's just what we do. Run with that if you want, but by all means get more beer! 12 pack? What are you going to do after lunch?

I have a fresh bottle of Markers Mark ... I'm good!!

I'm also South of the Mason-Dixon line so don't have a lot of snow. Albeit the rain/hail we experienced this morning is what is heading toward John D. now.

48 is a bit of a stretch, down here 24-36 is most folks' max. 26 ga or 29?

29 I believe. The building is up to code standards for this area but obviously unusual circumstances can stress things.

12" and counting now. Wind picking up pretty good. I've been twice around with the snow blower and shovel. I just discovered that the Duluth Ballroom Jeans are worth every extra penny. Not until the end of the second round did they begin to start getting wet on the inside. My legs never got cold. Good material whatever its makeup.

Almost done. Maybe 18" total so I'm not worried about structural failure. We have a little dog who likes to hang out next to the garage wall. With the smooth metal roof, the snow will slide off sooner or later on its own. I want to make it happen while I'm sure the dog is not sitting there. A stupid little bugger but I love him.

When I was working for my dad, we packed cabbage inside all winter in western NY. The metal buildings with metal roofs would hold a lot of snow and when it finally gave way, it was like an avalanche. I recall one time walking between two of the buildings in what we called "the tunnel." This was probably a four foot wide space and it was sometimes used as a "second bathroom."

30 seconds after I stepped out of the tunnel we all heard a sliding noise and loud pounding on the ground. I looked outside to see 8-10 feet of packed snow in the tunnel.

Long story short, stay away from roofs loaded with snow.

Almost done. Maybe 18" total so I'm not worried about structural failure. We have a little dog who likes to hang out next to the garage wall. With the smooth metal roof, the snow will slide off sooner or later on its own. I want to make it happen while I'm sure the dog is not sitting there. A stupid little bugger but I love him.

Wishfull thinking...6PM and 26 inches on the north side of Baltimore and still snowing.

The trick with the metal roof is to start the movement of the snow and it will come off. Pitch determines how much effort it is to get started. Don't have a snow rake, try using a 4"-4x4 with rope tied to each end. Get the rope over the peak and then pull it down the other side. may take a couple of tries to get the snow moving.

Building to area code is just about a max load design. There was a Baltimore awning manufacture that would start calling his major customers to let them know when the loads exceeded the design specifications, no mater what time it occurred (2am would leave a message).. Covering his but on material, installation failure when they started coming down. Seems like not many wanted to pay to beef up specifications to meet the fluke condition that may come along.

In the end that is why you have Home Owner's Insurance.

22" total in Severna Park by my measurements. I got the roof cleared. It was a combination of the heater and a giant homemade hoe. 12' 2x4 with a 2'x1' piece of osb as the blade. That helped me reach up and pull the snow down. I don't think I ever had a structural concern but there's enough on the ground now that easily could have buried my small dog.