Heat Pump Matching

Charles

Good morning.

Guidance please.

First one I have seen.

International Comfort Products. 2-1/2 Ton. Condensing unit MFD 2013. Labeled R22. Air handler MFD 2014. Labeled R410.

I know that R410 systems run at a much higher pressure and use different metering devices than R22 systems and replacing an old R22 condensing unit requires an air handler replacement because of these pressure differences. But what about the opposite.

Can a R410 air handler work with R22 refrigerant?

I recommended that the buyer consult with an HVAC contractor to ensure proper matching and to also discuss potential warranty denials due to possible mismatch.

Thoughts?

Respectfully,

Charles

Good morning.

Guidance please.

First one I have seen.

International Comfort Products. 2-1/2 Ton. Condensing unit MFD 2013. Labeled R22. Air handler MFD 2014. Labeled R410.

I know that R410 systems run at a much higher pressure and use different metering devices than R22 systems and replacing an old R22 condensing unit requires an air handler replacement because of these pressure differences. But what about the opposite.

Can a R410 air handler work with R22 refrigerant?

I recommended that the buyer consult with an HVAC contractor to ensure proper matching and to also discuss potential warranty denials due to possible mismatch.

Thoughts?

Respectfully,

Charles

Some units are labeled for both R-22 and R-410A. Those can be used as such.

I would not allow R-22 into an air handler labeled only for R-410A. It's asking for trouble.

Marc